Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 03:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Should I fire my attorney?

Started by zutalurs, Mar 02, 2006, 07:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zutalurs

Recently during an argument with BM she made reference to the fact that "my attorney even told me that your attorney thinks you are being ridiculous."  That was said about the fact that I do not answer her phone calls, and refuse to call her back if she does not leave details about why she is calling in her voice mail.  I have gotten way to many "You need to call me back" voice mails only to return the call and be subject to an onslaught of verbal abuse.
My question isn't if that is a ridiculous position, but if I should be concerned if indeed my attorney is givng away position to her attorney.
My attorney has never told me he thought I was ridiculous in that stance.  And I do know there is a good chance BM is lying just to yank my chain.
But I have felt for a while that my attorney is frustrated with this case, in particular her craziness, and I am worried that he is having conversations like this with her counsel.
Should I be concerned?  Should I start shopping for another attorney?  How can I confront him about this without offending him.  If he didn't do this, I don't want him getting his nose out of joint.

4honor

(cause lets face it, why pay to just find out) preface the whole thing with a disclaimer.

You: Mr. Atty, I realize this case is frustrating with all the craziness flying back and forth, and I realize my ex is likely messing with my head, but I have to ask, so that this question does not continue to mess with my head -- have you been discussing your personal opinion of my position with opposing counsel?

If the atty says yes, then you deal with it. If  they say no and you believe them, let them know that you are glad to clear the air. Then let it go.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

sheerdark

If your soon to be ex is like mine was - and from your brief description of her actions, she seems like she is...she is just doing this to yank your chain.

Your attorney works for you.  Any respectable attorney would not discuss any of his tactics with the opposing counsel that might risk your position.  Now, they may share things to gain a rapport with the opposing counsel or to even make the opposing counsel worry about their own client's dishonesty.

So long as your attorney has been reputable and honest with you, thus far...I would suggest you let this go as your STBX mouthing off to make you question your representation.

msme

You can also ask for a statement of activity. If he is talking to anyone, you are paying & details of the conversation are usually noted.

Good luck & God bless.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

mishelle2

ok this is just my opinion.. so please noone bite my head off for it.. but I think you are overreacting, lets face it.. most family law attorneys know one another, most of them are friends with one another and if we think for a minute that they arent talking about how crazy we all are and laughing about it on the weekend were all nuts. Heck our attorney has told us numerous times that opposing counsel cant stand his client and she drives him crazy with her logic, but he still stands up for her and does his job regardless of his personal opinion. So lets face it, gossip is everywhere, including the court house, as long as there not chatting with the judge.. who really cares,........otherwise you may have a problem..

again just my thought..

davisjames

I agree.  We went through some of the same issues when we saw how well our attorney was getting along with opposing counsel.  We couldn't figure out why they didn't hate each other like we did.  Our first attorney, who we ended up getting rid of, told us that we had to realize that they all ran in the same circle, attended the same functions and researched in the same law library.  Some of them even went to law school together and they shared a mutual respect for each other that was necessary for their profession.  He explained that this relationship did not in anyway affect the job that he would do for us nor did it compromise our confidentiality in any way.