Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 02:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Round 3 - "Boys are stupid ..." tee shirts.

Started by MKx2, Jan 12, 2004, 05:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKx2

I received the following e-mail from Glenn Sacks.  I'm sure that many of you have as well, but just to make SURE that we get the maximum number of e-mails sent, here it is (only the pertinent information has been included below):

As promised, on the show I announced our next target for round 3 of our campaign against the hateful "Boys Are Stupid, Throw Rocks at Them" T-shirts. It is a huge, highly visible company--Universal Studios. A victory here would mean a lot for the men's and fathers' movement and I strongly urge you to support us. Go to [A HREF=http://www.hisside.com/join_his_side_campaign.htm]Join His Side Campaign Against Hateful T-shirt[/A] for the information, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers you need. Feel free to write me if you have any questions.

Thanks in advance for your past and continued efforts to remove this terrible hate product from the market.

Brent

Over the past month you have successfully driven the hateful "Boys Are Stupid, Throw Rocks at Them" T-shirts from both Tilly's and Bon Macy's--71 stores in all. It is now time to focus on our next campaign target: Universal Studios.

Universal Studios in Hollywood owns Universal City Walk, an extremely popular promenade filled with shops and restaurants. Universal Studios owns some of the stores there and leases space to others. One of the stores which Universal Studios owns is Dapy.

Dapy's preteen girls section has an anti-boy center - a 6' by 5' display of shirts and other items which say "Boys Make Good Pets, Everyone Should Own One," "Boys Are Stupid, Throw Rocks at Them," and "Stupid Factory - Where Boys Are Made." Some of the products depict violence against boys.

Our goal is for Dapy to remove that center and all of the anti-boy products it advertises.

Below is the contact information for Universal Studios' CEO, two of their top public relations executives, Dapy's merchandise manager, and the Universal Studios Management Office.

I want you to call and write all five of them and let them know exactly how you feel about a Universal Studios-owned business selling these products. Be polite, but be clear. Please copy me ([email protected]) on all emails to Universal Studios and please use "Customer Complaint - 'Boys are Stupid' T-shirts at Dapy" as the subject line of all emails.

Larry Kurzweil
President & CEO of Universal Studios
(818) 622-3998
[email protected]

Eliot Sekuler
Vice President of Public Relations
(818) 622-6896
[email protected]

Meghan Gamber
Manager of Public Relations
(818) 622-5985
[email protected]

Gary Coover
Merchandise Manager for Dapy
(818) 622-3279
[email protected]

Universal Studios Management Office
Administrator of Universal City Walk
(818) 622-9841
[email protected]

Brent

Please feel free to copy and modify as you see fit.

Subject Line: "Why does Universal Studios promote violence against children?"

I am writing in regards to some extremely offensive merchandise offered for sale by Universal Studios.

I'm referring specifically to the "Boys Are Stupid, Throw Rocks at Them" shirts that Universal Studios sells.

I would hope that Universal Studios will also have a sense of social conscience and opt do the right thing by pulling these shirts from your stores. Selling these shirts may be amusing to some, but the message they send is offensive to many, and insensitive (at best) to half the population.

I would never allow my children to wear a shirt that suggested they assault another human being because of their gender. These shirts are a fine example of gender-based hatred and discrimination, and they are a discredit to Universal Studios' integrity as a responsible and ethical corporate citizen.

In addition, these shirts are an insult to anyone who has ever spent money at Universal Studios. I was appalled that Universal Studios would offer this kind of merchandise, and neither I nor the 1300+ people on my email list will patronize a corporation that promotes violence against their children. Most people no longer find these kinds of messages to be "humorous" or acceptable, and they vote with their wallets and pocketbooks.

Rest assured I will never take my children to visit Universal Studios, or spend money in any Universal Studios store. In addition, I'll take every opportunity to explain to people I meet how Universal Studios promotes violence against children by the sale of these incredibly offensive and hateful products.

I'm sure you would agree that a shirt promoting violence against girls would be in extremely poor taste, and would be boycotted by any number of groups, such a the National Organization for Women. A shirt promoting violence against boys is no different, and I hope that you will act accordingly to prevent Universal Studios from helping to perpetuate violence against children of either gender.

I welcome your comments and look forward to hearing from you.

Brent

Here's what I ask them when I get them on the phone:

"Why does Universal Studios think it's okay to promote violence against children?

Why should I bring my family to Universal Studios when they apparently think it's okay to refer to my son as a 'pet' and suggest people 'own them' What's wrong with you people?

I want you to know that I won't visit or spend my money in a place that encourages violence against my children, and I'm never going to take my son to a place that discriminates against him and refers to him as a 'pet'."
------------------------------------------------

They have a hard time coming up with a good response to the question "Why does Universal Studios think it's okay to promote violence against children?" They sure as hell don't want to be accused of "promoting violence against children".

I Predict Universal Studios will be pulling these shirts. I told them I wouldn't EVER take my son "to a place that displayed posters or sold merchandise that encouraged violence against my child".

MKx2

I hve e-mailed AND called - of course no one was available but I made SURE that if a warm voice answered the phone that they took down what I said VER BATIM (told them to read it back to me), and in 2 instances I left voice mail.

These tee-shirts MUST come off the shelves! Thanks Brent.

joni

Dear Ms. Gamber,

With all of the violence in schools these days, I am devastated and astounded by Universal Studios' support and promotion of violence against boys by the sales of your T-Shirts in your Dapy stores.

You can release a film produced and distributed by your company and have to put a rating on this film for violence yet you offer and promote  these T-Shirts for sale for very impressionable young girls without consideration or regard?  What kind of message do you think you're sending them?  Do you think you could produce a film with the story line of girls committing violence against boys?  Do you think that would be a box office hit?  

As a mother of a 2 1/2 year old boy, I am horrified.  I watch him every moment he's awake to keep him safe.  I do all that I can.  I teach him love and compassion and especially, how to treat women with respect.

To what end?

This is as serious as a heart attack.  Do the right thing.

gmaoftwo

I just emailed all 5 of them!   nm

MYSONSDAD

forthekids24