Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 02:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AMBER ALERT

Started by janM, Jul 28, 2007, 04:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janM

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=71866

mistoffolees

>http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=71866
>

Sounds to me like the person who was supervising them needs to be fired - and maybe worse.

janM

I was thinking they must be in hot water.

Wonder what part of "supervised" they didn't understand. And that there is good reason for it...

FatherTime

Have you ever noticed how Amber Alerts are usually only issued when a non-custodial mother removes the child from "state custody".  Amber Alerts are issued when non-custodial fathers "kidnap" or conceal the children. Why are they not issued when custodial mothers "kidnap" or conceal the children or when non-custodial mothers kidnap (such as the WA state case where the mother was found in WA).  

When my daughter was taken I couldn't even get the police to do anything but file a report. However, I believe that it was before Amber Alerts came into being.

I am just watching the events as they unfold.  I am just suggesting that others keep an eye open to observe the possible gender bias which may or may not exist in circumstances involving Amber Alerts.  Kind of like.... teachers, sex, and students.  (one teacher was "too pretty for jail")

I am watching a local case of child abduction from WA state, where the father fled to Montana with his 2 children.  FBI and amber alerts.  I spoke with a local FBI agent recently and he told me that: We (they) don't even get involved anymore in child abduction cases.  We (they) are pretty much just an anti-terrorism force."  Like I'm an idiot and believe that they just drop all of their other duties to fight terrorism.  

Keep your eyes open.

FatherTime

sdbleve

Let me start by saying I work with Law Enforcement...

There is a misconception about the criteria for issuing an Amber Alert.
Quote from the Amber Alert information page:

AMBER ALERT is not intended for cases involving runaways or parental abduction, except in life-threatening situations.

In order for an Amber Alert to be issued the following criteria have to be met:

The investigating law enforcement agency confirms an abduction has occurred.

The victim is 17 years of age or younger, or has a proven mental or physical disability.

The victim is in imminent danger of serious injury or death.

There is information available that, if provided to the public, could assist in the child's safe recovery.

In most cases, with parental child abduction, the final 2 items are not a factor.  In most parental child abduction cases, there is very little indication that the child is in imminent danger of injury or death.  And at times there is not enough infomation available that would aid the public in aiding law enforcement.  

Often cases of child abduction are cases where the NCP is frustrated by the CP interfering with the NCP's time with the child(ren).  Or just as often, when one parent leaves the home and decides that the children are "their" children.  In most of these cases, the children are not in danger, and the problem is refered to the District Attorney's office and Family Court for follow up.

I have a lot more I could/would like to say about parents using the children as pawns in the great seperation/divorce game.  But then I would not get any sleep tonight as I would get all worked up.

janM

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=71908

They found the girl safe in Syracuse, NY.

FatherTime

Thank you for that valuable information.

I understand the situation better.  I am confused as to how a determination of serious injury or death is/was involved in the local case to which I referred to in my previous post.  However, it is not my concern.  

I now see that if the child is with the custodial parent, someone whom the courts deem safe and secure, that there would or should be no possibility for serious injury or death.  Whereas, a non-custodial parent may have issues which could leave that possibility open to scrutiny.

Thank you,

FatherTime