Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: I messed up! Need advice  (Read 1071 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
I messed up! Need advice
« on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
So I fell for my spouse's lies that we could work things out and that they would get the divorce papers dropped.  Well now it's day 29 of my 30 days to contest and it's too late for me to do anything.   I can not afford a lawyer, and she has one already.  

So does this mean that everything that was said in the papers will happen.  She'll get sole custody, that I admit to being an unfit parent?  


  • Sr. Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1697
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: I messed up! Need advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:42:34 PM »
You still have one day. Run, don't walk, to your courthouse and contest her filing. It would be better with an attorney, but the court clerk can provide you with the forms you need.

In general, nothing you agreed to is binding until signed by the court. But you need to move fast. And anything she asks for won't happen unless the court agrees that it will happen. If you contest it, you'll get a chance to present your side. If you don't contest it, her filing will go into effect (unless the judge decides for some reason not to give her everything she asks for - but unless you speak up, the judge has no reason to refuse).


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.