Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Getting custody of daughter  (Read 2875 times)


  • Guest
Getting custody of daughter
« on: Nov 30, 2003, 04:20:19 PM »
What are the chances of a father getting custody of his 4 year old daughter?  Currently, we have joint custody with mother and child living out of state.  Mother is living with family and does not work.  Daughter is not in day care or preschool although my support was calculated with this in mind.  Mother has always had health problems at no fault of her own but does nothing to better herself.  Talks about going back to school, talks about getting a job etc...  She recently had surgery while I had my daughter for the week in AZ.  Upon our return, she wanted me to stay longer to help care for our child but I could not afford the change fees for the flights or to miss another week of work.  I own my own home, have a great job that pays well and can support, provide and care for my daughter as any other single parent could.  Mother just isn't doing enough in my mind to give our daughter what she needs, like a place to call home, friends her age, her own room with her own things.

What would I have to do to get physical custody?  We would still have joint but I want her here with me.  Do I have a chance?  What would I have to prove to the courts?  Or am I just living every fathers dream?


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 610
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Getting custody of daughter
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2003, 04:31:50 PM »
Can you ask mom if dtr could "just stay with you for a while until she gets back on her feet" and then after 6-12 months, file for custody as you will have had her in your home, etc.?  Worth a try, probably better chance at this than court.  Good luck


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 397
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Getting custody of daughter
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2003, 08:05:16 PM »
Check these out:

Success Factors In Obtaining Custody

The Articles Page

Frankly, as long as the child is cared for reasonably well, and there is no obvious abuse or drug use going on, I wouldn't count on the court changing the status quo simply because Mom is not reaching her potential. If you and Mom were not married, it is doubly hard to change. You would need a large change in the circumstances of the child's life. If you are paying needlessly for daycare, you could file to modify your child support accordingly but you will need good documentation of that.

Encourage mom to get her in preschool, it would be very good for her.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.