Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: US Father, Do I have Custody Rights to my child born in Sweden?  (Read 2403 times)


  • Guest
I am a Father in need of help. I have a 18 month old daughter that was born in Sweden. I desperately want to be a part of my childs life. So desperate that I married my childs mother, here in Las Vegas in June of this year for the sake of our child. So that she could have both of her parents here in the U.S. For the last several months, the mother and I have been trying to work things out for the sake of our child. Despite numourous attempts the mother and I could not work things out between the two of us, and I just recently filed for divorce.  Though I do not believe that that the mother and I can be together, that has no bearing on how I feel about my child. I desperately want and need to be a part of her life. The mother of my child has informed me that they were a package deal, and because I didn't want to stay married to her and be with her that I am never to call her again, that she is taking our child and disappearing and I will not no where they are. She threatens that I will never see my child again. I do not have a lot of money or other resources. I am representing myself in the divorce, and am not even sure if there was some other motion I should have filed regarding the custody. I have spoken with two different attorneys one told me that if the mother is a Citizen in Sweden and the child was born in Sweden that I have no jurisdiction or right to my child. A second attorney told me that because we were married here in Vegas that the child may be considered the word she used was community property and therefore I may have rights. I fear that she will be long gone with my child before I can find the resources to stop here from disappearing with our child. PLEASE HELP


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.