Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: RE: New here....need help...ex & children moving out of state  (Read 1288 times)


  • Guest
Hi!  I am new here and not sure what to ask first.  My divorce was final in Jan, 2005.  My ex ended up with full custody of our four children.  My biggest concern is her mother and stepfather.  They have been in charge of this whole divorce.  The stepfather has been living here in WI with my ex and the children for the last year and has total control of what the children and my ex do or don't do.  My ex has severe learning disabilities and because of this the court has given her and the children the right to move to IL to live with her parents so they can help take care of the children and her.  The attorney I had was not working for me.  I had many people who were willing to testify in my behalf, including several Pastors, Babysitters, neighbors, contractors, etc. but my attorney said it wasn't necessary as the judge doesn't like to listen to all that testimony.  The guardian ad litem had made her recommendation which was to keep the ex and the children up here but the judge ruled they could go to IL.  They are supposed to leave as soon as school is out.  Is there anyway we can get this back into court and a reconsideration done?  I have been very involved with my children and their sports, music, school, camps, church, etc.  My boys, ages 4 and 5 will be starting T-ball and I want to be involved with them but the way things are set up right now I will only get my children for six weeks in the summer, every other Thanksgiving, and 60% of Easter and Christmas.  I don't want to lose out in my Childrens lives.  Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how to fight this?  Thank you for any info you can supply.


  • Sr. Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1470
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: New here....need help...ex & children moving out of state
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2005, 06:10:11 PM »
you can file an appeal on thedecision sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But you only have a short time to do this in.

Post to socrateaser and see what he says.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**


  • Guest
RE: New here....need help...ex & children moving out of state
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2005, 08:53:21 AM »
Unfortunately, I know what you are going through. I live in NH, and my ex has just decided to move, with my two children, to Indiana. I started fighting her, but on the advice a a second lawyer, have decided it is a losing battle. I will lose in court. And the marital master may not give me as much as she is currently offering. So as hard as it is, I have agreed NOT to continue the legal battle.
     I find it incredible that when so much is made about "dead-beat dads", that fathers who DO play an active and crucial role in their children's lives and want to continue to be able to do so are so often simply cast aside by the family courts. My relationship with my kids is going to change, for the worse, forever, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.
   So I am also very interested in hearing any suggestions or advice from anyone willing to give it.


  • Guest
RE: New here....need help...ex & children moving out of state
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2005, 10:40:02 AM »
yet another topic I fear as most of my X's family is out of state. Please let me know the progress of your case so that I can learn from your experience. Thank you.


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 301
  • Karma: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2005, 03:45:05 PM »
Join our e-mail chat!!  they have been a godsend to my dh and I.


we are also in WI, but luckily we live in a fairly "fatherfriendly" county.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.