Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Florida - Child Care (After School Care) subject to FERPA?  (Read 5827 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
My 3 children (Ages 5, 8 and 10) were enrolled in a program called "Creative Learning and Play" run by the local city government with grants or funded 100 percent by the Children's Trust, which obtains it funds completely by the taxpayer.    The program's design was to assist with homework and then play.  To make a long story short, the program is in complete opposition to its name.

I have requested their records 3 times verbally and I have received utter resistance (i.e., we cannot do that, etc).  Most of these records involve my signature.   I would like to know if FERPA applies or what other "Federal" statue/policy would apply?  Thank you.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
  • Karma: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Florida - Child Care (After School Care) subject to FERPA?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:33:27 AM »
As far as I know, this type of daycare isn't required to follow FERPA. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems that it is more of a daycare than a educational institution. FERPA also encompasses schools with federal funding. If the school is run with only state or local funding, it is not held to FERPA.
I may be wrong, so what I recommend is contacting The Flordia Department of Education Division of Public Schools and Community Education Bureau of Instructional Support and Community Services. 850-487-3510 or email butlerm@mail.doe.state.fl.us or swandoj@mail.doe.state.fl.us
I know Florida has a state law similar to FERPA, so they actually may have requirements that are similar if they qualify due to state funding instead of federal funding.
Good Luck


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 873
  • Karma: 1004
    • View Profile
Re: Florida - Child Care (After School Care) subject to FERPA?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2008, 02:40:44 PM »
Do you have legal custody of the children?  You could try putting your request in writing and sending it certified mail, return receipt requested.  In your letter, request that any denials be made in writing.

What reason are they giving for denying your request?


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.