Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 12:58:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shared Custody - six months with each parent

Started by Rocketman, Jan 08, 2009, 08:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocean

If you ex fights this at all then you need to have a plan B ready. It is not fair to a child to have to leave their home school and then finish somewhere else to go back there again for the new school year. Their activities, friends, and social friendships will suffer. It is one thing to move once...into a new school. Kids do that all the time but to do it as often as you say...no way.

Parents in the US can come up with a plan and get is signed off without even seeing a judge too BUT once your ex starts talking to others and realizes this will never get signed off with a judge....just be prepared.
Good luck!

kitty1511

I have actually been trying to come up with a similar plan and searching for anyone who might be doing the same, or anyone who might actually have done this. I was thinking of enrolling my son in a private montessori school anyway, and thought this might make an easier transition during the year. I'm not as concerned as if he would be going to public school as Montessori's are known to individually plan for the child's education. Does anyone out there do this?

I do think my husband and I are both good parents for my child and should be part of their life. But my ex has expressed his very strong desire to "drag out the court case as long as possible and make it hell" if I don't give him custody during the school year. When he filed for divorce, he also moved 1/2 way across the country and took my son without my knowledge, so there is a history of strange behavior. (In the end he was court ordered back to my state but it was a very trying time for several months). Anyway it's water under the bridge, but just demonstrates what may happen (or may not?)

It's not like I can just move where he is, nor do I want to based on his previous actions, not to mention the expense and that I already have a house here. My ex is also a teacher who makes $10K plus more than I do per year working for 9 months, so he could have every day of the summer, full days with our child.

I'm just at a loss. I do think both us need to be in his life, but I don't want to participate in the circus that is "he said, she said". Any ideas?

kitty1511

I'm sorry at one point I used the word 'husband' where I meant ex-husband, which upon re-reading makes the post have a different meaning. All references to husband, spouse, ex, etc are references to the same person, my ex-husband.