Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: legal help please  (Read 3999 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
legal help please
« on: Jun 23, 2009, 06:06:25 PM »
I am at a wall.  I am wondering if anyone knows where there is an attorney that can or is willing to help me?... I live in the state of NH.  I was never married.  I have a ten year old daughter.  Her father and I have shared custody, he has residential.  I NEED to file for changes on my parenting plan (which I already know is possible). 
I hired an attorney almost 3 years ago when this all started.  I went to court alone because expenses became too high.  I am financially drained.  Her father makes approx. 6 times the money I do.  So his legal costs were easily paid.  I am now in a horrible financial situation and am slowly losing everything because I cant catch up.  My daughter is worth every penny.  I am not complaining about the money.  I know someday, things will turn around if I just keep at it. 
The reason I am mentioning it though is because I can not afford legal help, once again, to make changes to the plan.  And it is clear to me changes would not have to be made at this point if I was able to continue through the entire process with representation on my side at our final hearing.  I truely can not even afford the $100 to file the court papers in lue of my car is now is reposession status and is my only way to see my sweet girl (since I do 100% of the driving), and is my only way to get to work (as most).  Even if I could somehow, someway, find that money, I once again will not have and can not afford the legal strength I need by my side. 
There are so many details to my situatiom.  I am not here to tell them all.  I am here to find out if there is an attorney, a program, a way, that I can get help and be able to make these changes with professional support on my side so I dont end up in a naive situation getting walked all over again?  My time with her is all that matters to the both of us.  Please????  any help????


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 5071
  • Karma: 172
    • View Profile
Re: legal help please
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
At family court there should be a legal aid office (or find out where it is in your area). You have to qualify to get free help so it depends on how much you make.


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 111
  • Karma: 3
    • View Profile
Re: legal help please
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »
Try here for legal information, statutes & other available resources:
 Good luck amd let me know if you need assistance finding specific information & I'll see what I can do to help,
Best Wishes!!


  • Sr. Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1013
  • Karma: -545
    • View Profile
Re: legal help please
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
You may find some assistance with what Ocean has suggested.  If not, and this is what I would suggest to the many many fathers that find themselves in a like position,  settle down and don't waste what you have swirling around in the legal system.   Use what little you have to have an enjoyable time with your child, try to improve your finances, and concentrate more on the hope for the future.  Hang in there. 
Of course, you did't give any specifics concerning the time available with your daughter and that may help one of us to help you.


  • Private Reserve
  • Sr. Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1314
  • Karma: 352
    • View Profile
Re: legal help please
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2009, 01:40:43 AM »
You may also check into mediation to modify your parenting time agreement.  In Oregon, parents get 8 hrs of free mediation (and can get more if the mediator requests it and the parents are close to an agreement) to keep the fight out of the courts and have the parents work together.  My ex and I didn't even meet, but worked with the mediator to come to an agreement.  My ex lives in another county and didn't want to drive over to meet. 


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.