Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help!! BM wants to terminate her rights

Started by dkbj, May 05, 2009, 09:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkbj

Here's a little background information....

My husband's ex wife owes about $10,000 in back child support and is ordered to pay $400 a month for current. She submitted a motion to modify child support and they have a hearing tomorrow. She wants her child support to be lowered to $250 a month. Our state law in Nevada says the minimum is 18% of her income and that's what $400 is. My husband filed for child support enforcement in January and his caseworker called his ex last week and told her that the child support will most likely stay at $400 because it is the state minimum. My husband's ex then called him and told him that she wants nothing to do with their son anymore because she doesn't want to pay $400 a month and still have to pay back child support. She told him that she wants to terminate her parental rights.

My husband filed for CSE because we really need the money. So, my questions is, can she voluntarily terminate her rights and just walk away. And my husand is just supposed to support their son now completely on his own with no financial support from her? He's fine if she doesn't want to visit him (she barely does now anyway) so what can he do to make sure that this doesn't happen? My step son is 5 years old and he is just barely getting to know his BM and he's really excited about it and now she wants nothing to do with him... Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Giggles

I fully believe the ONLY way the judge would allow her to terminate her rights is if YOU (the step-parent) were willing to adopt the child.

Otherwise, she's just gonna tick the judge off.  What a piece of crud BM!!! 
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!

cinb58

What happened to the "First wives" board?

Waylon

Quote from: cinb58 on May 06, 2009, 10:15:02 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, there never was a "First Wives" board here. There is a private, invite-only Second Wives Board that's been here for a number of years..
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

cinb58

Yes, that's what I meant "Second Wives Board"  Is it still her.  I used to have access to it, but can't seem to find it anymore.  I couldn't log in with my old login, so re-registered. 

Giggles

HI CinB!!  How have you been???  WOW long time no see!!!

cinb58

I've been good!  What happened to the second wives board??????  Did you move to Florida???

Raisin_3

Quote from: dkbj on May 05, 2009, 09:00:02 PM
Here's a little background information....

My husband's ex wife owes about $10,000 in back child support and is ordered to pay $400 a month for current. She submitted a motion to modify child support and they have a hearing tomorrow. She wants her child support to be lowered to $250 a month. Our state law in Nevada says the minimum is 18% of her income and that's what $400 is. My husband filed for child support enforcement in January and his caseworker called his ex last week and told her that the child support will most likely stay at $400 because it is the state minimum. My husband's ex then called him and told him that she wants nothing to do with their son anymore because she doesn't want to pay $400 a month and still have to pay back child support. She told him that she wants to terminate her parental rights.

My husband filed for CSE because we really need the money. So, my questions is, can she voluntarily terminate her rights and just walk away. And my husand is just supposed to support their son now completely on his own with no financial support from her? He's fine if she doesn't want to visit him (she barely does now anyway) so what can he do to make sure that this doesn't happen? My step son is 5 years old and he is just barely getting to know his BM and he's really excited about it and now she wants nothing to do with him... Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My husbands ex wife terminated her rights in 2005.  The only way she will be able to do that is if you are willing to adopt your ss.  I adopted my ss when he was 10 y/o.  My dh's ex only had to pay $45 per week and decided to give up her rights and she paid the $700 for the atty.

ShellyD

Quote from: Waylon on May 06, 2009, 10:22:24 AM
Quote from: cinb58 on May 06, 2009, 10:15:02 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, there never was a "First Wives" board here. There is a private, invite-only Second Wives Board that's been here for a number of years..

Like you would be mistaken - after all the blood sweat and tears you've put into this board for us.

Giggles

CinB...I sure did and I LOVE it!!!  Got married too!!