Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: BM took SD as a deduction on her taxes  (Read 6917 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 24
  • Karma: 3
    • View Profile
Re: BM took SD as a deduction on her taxes
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »
I don't think we would send a letter either, just causes more "crap" as my husband would say.  If you have the legal paperwork to suport your claim I would just proceed as directed by the IRS.

Any chance that step daughter claimed herself?  If that is the case I can see this going down differently, which means dad still might end up paying.

Good Luck! And Congratulations!  Sounds like the child support part is over..... My husband is counting the days.....

I have been in this situation. When I turned 18, was in the military (Active Duty) and stationed up in AK, I went to file my taxes. One of the first questions they asked me was if ANYONE ELSE could claim me as a dependent for that year. Since I was living at home with my mother for part of the year (8 months of high school and summer vacation before shipping for basic training), I had to mark that on my tax return so that I could NOT claim myself since my mother was legally entitled to using me as a deduction since she had supported me. Had I claimed myself, my mother would have been able to have the IRS force me to file an amendment so that she could have the deduction, or sue me.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.