Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: making formal requests  (Read 3150 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
making formal requests
« on: Sep 03, 2009, 10:29:05 AM »
I am in Pa. and my ex has been denying me visitation despite a court order.  The school involved has all pertinent custody paperwork.  As of the start of school she no longer had the power to keep me from seeing them.  This past friday I went to pick them up at the end of the day.

She instructed the school to call her if I show up and they did.  She showed up with her boyfriend, father and two other guys that work for him.  The principal feared for my safety so he  had me taken to remote office upstairs.

Police showed up whom are personal friends with her father and told me I wasn't taking the kids despite it being my week of custody.  I left and filed for a pfa due to the hostility and safety concerns.  School officials agreed to type a report of the incident for me to use in court.   

I called the school to request the letter and was told I have to have my attorney send a request letter instructing what should be written in their letter.  I don't want fantasy, just the facts of what happened and why principal handled the situation that way.   

1.  How do I formally request letter from school about the incident when I am representing myself pro se?

2.  Should I forego the letter and have the principal subpoena'd ?
I hope I haven't forgotten any information.  Current custody order states 50/50 week on and week off.  She filed for modification hearing after child support was lowered.  I filed contempt of court order which will bring up at conciliation or new business I am not sure.  I am going to ask for make up time of 3 extra overnights per month, which in turn will give me majority custody.  I haven't seen my kids 9 out of the last 18 months due to her contempt.
3.  Is make up time something usually granted ?
4.  Is my request of 3 extra overnights per month unrealistic?


  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3049
  • Karma: 155
  • That's Me...MixedBag
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doilyboutique.com
Re: making formal requests
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
sounds like you have some open litigation pending?  (like motions have been filed but not yet heard or decided?)
Go to your clerk's office and ask them if they will tell you how to do a supboena.
And then supboena the principal as a witness and ask for the report.  Actually the principal will have to testify that he wrote the report in court for it to truly become evidence.
Wish I could tell you step by step -- but I'm just another person here.
Make up time and being granted is a toss up.  One time where I was denied, it was granted.  Another time where I was denied, it wasn't granted (4 weeks of summer time), BUT dad was found in clear contempt and there was another way to punish him.  By all means ASK for it.
Those 3 extra days....hard for anyone to say here at the board.
How far apart do you two live and how is that gonna affect getting the kids to school?  That's the thought that comes to mind.


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: making formal requests
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2009, 11:08:39 AM »
we only live a mile and a half apart and during my week i provide all transportation.  we agreed while we were married that we would never send our kids to center city school and when she moved into the city i offered to provide transportation for the kids to go to my school on her weeks and she refused due to contol issues.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.