Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Need info on Joint/shared custody and responsibilities to child support.  (Read 3793 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
I am due for court at the end of this month to find out results of DNA test. My son is 8 yrs old and lives with his mother in Dallas. I am in the Woodlands and have not had control over my son for about 6 yrs. I am trying to find out about filing for joint custody and what I can do to represent myself in that when my child support case is determined. I need to know what forms to submit as a motion for joint or shared custody.

If Jayden is truly MY son I no longer want to have little or no vistation or rights to my son, all the while sending the mother money she can spend on everything but him. So where do I go from here? If I contend for joint custody and it drags out a little while in court, will the courts immediately impose child support upon me until the case for custody is resolved?

And what do I do about getting a lawyer? I am a student who gets loans and grant from the government. Please return feedback. It is much appreciated. My sons mother has held my son against my will for all this time. I want and look forward to re-integrating my son with his Father. Thank you for any advise.


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Karma: -9
    • View Profile
It is recommended that you that you get an attorney.  Since you are a student with limited income you should qualifiy for legal aid.
1.  Once Paternity is established you can file a motion for visitation.  At a minimum you will receive standard visitation which is 1st, 3rd, and 5th weekends.  Since you are more than 100 miles apart you will get spring break every year and you will alternate holidays.  Visitation is automatic can cannot be taken from you without extenuating circumstances...such as family violence.   There should be standard forms that you can fill out for visitation but I am not sure.  It all depends on where the motions are filed and each courts rules are different.
2. Joint custody is normally the standard in Texas. Keep in mind that does not mean you get 50/50 time with your son. That means you have as much right as a parent as his mother does as it pertains to decisions in rasing your son. .  Custody is a different thing all together and since you are already far apart I don't see a judge altering that.
3 . Once paternity is established child support will be ordered if a motion is filed.  If a motion for child support is filed you need to also file a motion for visitation.
I think it is very important you get an attorney.  Try this website to start with there is a lot of information here that should be helpful. http://www.texaslawhelp.org/TX/index.cfm


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.