Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 12:14:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BM 'getting rid of baby' to deny father his rights....

Started by Kitty C., Jan 06, 2010, 08:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

(http://abcnews.go.com/)
Where is Baby Gabriel? Arizona Woman Refuses to Help Police Find Missing SonInfant Caught in Bizarre Custody Dispute; Mother Claims She Gave Baby to Couple in a ParkBy ANDREA CANNING, SARAH NETTER and ELISA ROUPENIAN
Jan. 6, 2010—
Two sets of parents caught up in a bizarre custody dispute (http://abcnews.go.com/US/lisa-miller-fails-hand-daughter-isabella-lesbian-partner/story?id=9462217) are frantic with worry about a missing 8-month-old baby and are begging his mother to tell police the truth about what she did with him.
Gabriel Johnson's biological father, Logan McQueary, said he fears Elizabeth Johnson may have killed their son, despite the lack evidence. But a couple who had been in talks to adopt the baby (http://abcnews.go.com/WN/International/china-tackles-baby-trafficking-problem/story?id=8973540) are sticking by the Arizona mother, saying she hid Gabriel to protect him.
Tammi and Jack Smith told "Good Morning America" today that Johnson gave her baby to an unknown couple while on the run (http://abcnews.go.com/WN/mom-babysitter-charged-disappearance-florida-infant/story?id=9003873) in San Antonio, Texas.
Johnson, 23, of Tempe, Ariz., disappeared before Christmas after McQueary refused to let her adopt out their son. She had lost custody (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/goldman-custody-battle-grandmother-vows-fight-boy/story?id=9447000) of Gabriel after failing to appear at a Dec. 28 court hearing.
She was arrested Dec. 29 in Miami Beach for interfering with custody -- without Gabriel.
"What she is telling us is that she met a family, a Caucasian man and woman with no child -- young," Tammi Smith told "Good Morning America."
"And she met them in the park. And she was crying and distraught and they came up to her and said, 'How can we help you?'"
When pressed for details about the couple, Smith said Johnson didn't remember much despite having spent three days with them, just that the woman's first name was "Cheryl." Tammi Smith said Johnson told her she purposely tried not to focus on their car or last names so she wouldn't be tempted to change her mind and get her son back.
"She believed she was doing a closed adoption," Tammi Smith said.
In a jailhouse interview Tuesday with a Phoenix CBS affiliate, Johnson reiterated her claim that she had given Gabriel to a couple she met at a San Antonio Park.
"I made a hasty decision and I thought it was OK," she said. "They approached me. I was out alone with the baby at the park. I trusted them, I believe in my heart they are good people."
Johnson is scheduled to be extradited to Arizona this week.
Police have also questioned the Smiths and searched their home but found no clues to indicate where Gabriel might be.
Authorities have said witnesses last saw the child in San Antonio.
The FBI found Johnson's car in a San Antonio motel parking lot Tuesday night. According to ABC affiliate KNXV, investigators were combing the car for evidence but said there were no obvious signs of violence.
<!-- page -->
Father of Missing Baby Gabriel Fears Mother Killed Son
The Smiths have said she fled to keep the baby from McQueary.
McQueary, 25, said his fears for his son's life stem from a series of text messages he received from Johnson.
"She basically said, 'There is no way in hell you will see your son again,'" he said at a recent news conference. "She put in the text, 'I killed him."
Johnson has been interviewed at length by investigators but police said she refuses to tell them what happened to her child.
"She was confronted, arrested and interviewed exhaustively about the whereabouts of the child," Miami Beach Police Sgt. Wayne Jones said. "All we know at this point is Gabriel can be anywhere between San Antonio and Miami Beach."
McQueary said he last saw his son days before what would have been the baby's first Christmas.
"I gave him a kiss and put him in his bed and that was the last time I saw him," he said.
Tammi and Jack Smith said Johnson's story about the couple in the park sounds very similar to how they met her.
"We met in an airport. I saw her distraught and crying with a newborn baby," Tammi Smith said. "And that doesn't look like a mother that wants to be a mother."
Jack Smith admitted he thought the entire adoption process with Johnson "felt strange," but that they all lived nearby and they had bonded with the baby after keeping him for a couple of weeks in December.
McQueary has charged that the Smiths pressured him into giving up the rights to his child.
"When Gabriel disappeared they said, basically, 'You know, if you care about your son and you want him back, you will sign the paperwork and she will bring him back to us and you will know that he is safe,'" McQueary said.
The Smiths deny the accusation and said they were simply passing on that message from Johnson and that they told McQueary they knew such papers wouldn't hold up because he signed them under duress, though it might bring the baby back.
"The father and Jack and I were in constant contact when we found out Elizabeth fled with the baby," Tammi Smith said. "When we finally got to speak to Elizabeth, she was so angry with the whole situation and told me, 'I have one message to give to Logan.'"
That message, Smith said, was sign the papers and the baby will be brought back.
Anyone with information about Gabriel Johnson is asked to call the Tempe Police Department at 480-350-8311.

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Talk about bribery........telling the father that she will produce the child once he gives up his rights??  I hope this piece-of-work BM geos away for a very long time and is never allowed to procreate ever again.  Even if post-partum depression were involved, if the Smith's were honest, they would have contacted authorities immediately to warn them of what she was trying to pull.  Sounds like the Smith's know a whole lot more then they are letting on....

<!-- SiteCatalyst code version: H.15.1 Copyright 1997-2007 Omniture, Inc. More info available at http://www.omniture.com -->var s_account = "wdgnewabcnews,wdgasec";<!--s_omni.pageName = "abcn:fn_print"; //content names_omni.pageURL = ""; //content urls_omni.pageType = ""; //page types_omni.server = window.document.location.hostname; //reporting domains_omni.prop4 = "story_print"; //content types_omni.prop1  = "abcn"; //site names_omni.channel = "abcn:"; //level1s_omni.prop5  = ""; //level2s_omni.prop6  = ""; //content alternate sections_omni.prop13 = "by andrea canning, sarah netter and elisa roupenian"; //columnists_omni.prop16 = ""; //sources_omni.prop18 = "9489263:gma_babygabriel_100106"; //content id:content names_omni.prop24 = "9489263" //top storys_omni.prop25 = ""; //top videos_omni.prop26 = ""; //top slideshows_omni.hier1 = "abcn"; //directory structures_omni.eVar16 = s_omni.pageName; //content name conversions_omni.eVar17 = s_omni.prop4+":"+s_omni.channel;var s_code=s_omni.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//--><!-- End SiteCatalyst code version: H.15.1 -->
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

jgaff78

There are obviously some very messed up people in this world. What person in their right mind would take a baby from a woman crying in a park (or an airport) and think it was ok just to suddenly adopt that child? If you see a woman crying in the park and she needs help, the logical thing to do is call the police or DCS to help her and her child, not agree to take her baby from her!

I feel so badly for the father in this case. It must be horrible to not know where his son is and to have so many people jerking him around. The Smiths should be ashamed for ever telling him that he had to sign the adoption papers in order to keep his son safe. If they really cared about that baby's well-being, they should have reported it to the cops immediately. I agree that it seems like that couple knows a lot more than they are letting on.

I hope the baby is found and is safe. And I hope that mother and anyone else involved with the baby's disappearance gets the punishment they deserve.