Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Child psychologist/counselor?  (Read 3322 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: -5
    • View Profile
Child psychologist/counselor?
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
My son will be 5 in a few weeks. My ex and I share joint custody 50/50. I have had some issues with him making inappropriate comments to our son in regards to my relationship with my now boyfriend as well as disparaging me directly to our son. This has continued on for a few months now. Last night, my son asked if we could talk about his feelings. I was surprised, but so happy he felt he could come to me with things that were bothering him. He then told me about more things his dad had said to him when he was at home and told me they upset him and make him sad. I am considering taking him to speak to someone just to get a professional opinion on how much this is affecting him and possibly some recommendations on what I can do. I have emailed his father every time we have an incident like this, but it never changes his behavior. Has anyone else used a child psychologist or counselor of some sort for this? Is there someone I should go through for the court for this or any other options? I am sure this will all end up in court again in the near future, as we have both mentioned changing our custody arrangement and my ex has plans to move out of state in approximately one year. I just want to be sure that I am doing what is best for my son, but also that if this should come up again in the future, I am also going by what the court recommends. Any thoughts or suggestions? Would a psychologist be who I need to speak to or someone else? I just want to have someone talk to him and evaluate where he is at with everything and then take it from there if they feel he needs counseling or that we should have some sort of family sessions.

Kitty C.

  • Moderator
  • SuperHero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2612
  • Karma: 938
    • View Profile
Re: Child psychologist/counselor?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
I have used a child psychologist in the past, but not for this type of issue, but that's not the point.  A child psychologist is specifically trained in pediatrics.  In EMS, we're taught that kids are not 'little adults' and it goes the same for mental and psychological issues, as well.  A good counselor or therapist just can't treat a child, especially one that young, the same as an adult...they process things a whole lot differently than adults do.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.