Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 18, 2024, 08:02:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

My kid's Dental insurance coverage

Started by Artista, Oct 31, 2013, 07:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artista

First of all,,HELLO!
I wish I had come across this website years ago!

Ok here  is a prelude...

I have been divorced from 'Donna' since 2004. We have 2 kids together, today they are 14 and 16 years old now.
I have joint custody but , of course, it was agreed to that they would live with their mom and in their school district.
I am the one who has been providing for the  health and dental insurance through my work all along.
Don't get me wrong-that is not a complaint -lol.

I had remarried in 2010 to a GOOD and RESPECTFUL woman, 'Anne'  .
My wife has a good relationship with her step-kids and they do respect her..there are no issues that I can report on first of all. (my wife cant give birth so our 2 kids mean so much more to her)
Since  'Anne' and I have been married   it seems that the kids mom, 'Donna' has become ruder and more disrespectful than of her norm'.
Here is the issue...
'Anne' is a professional and  has a good job (medical community)
He also has health and dental insurance for both she and I. (She covers me and I cover her and the kids)
For instance , I will need to have some important work done on my own teeth soon.
We decided to go with her dental health coverage because there are more benefits to it.
Early this year when 'Anne' had updated her coverage and  ADDED on our 2 kids.
When we sent the cards out to their mom 'Donna' (last name Mussolini) with a letter of full explanation of coverage, she SENT THEM BACK to us,  explaining that it 'doesn't have the dad's name on it so she cant use it'.
It was irritating and disrespectful back then but not worth feeding into her ignorance or to get stressed over it.
YESTERDAY she had text me explaining that she brought the kids into the dental office and the health card provided from me was not accepted.
Of course that is because I have separate ins for health and dental.
She is asking 'if' they are covered (which they ARE of course) and demands that I send the needed health cards.
I reminded her that I HAD send them dental cards SPECIFICALLY  for the kids but she sent them back, apparently because it has my wife's NAME on it i.e. 'Anne Artista'  she states that the ins card 'SHOULD BE  from DAD'S work/insurance coverage with only DAD'S name on it'.
This is just a small example of how she acts and does things.. We have been divorced for 9 years now but to this day she is still as abusive as ever. 
Side note- My wife and 'Donna' have met of course but there has not been a connection nor had there ever been confrontations or arguments.  'Anne' has NEVER been rude or argumentative. She loves the kids but has never done anything that would be disrespectful to their mom. When she has conversations with the kids, there are never any topical talks about their mom. We avoid doing that because we feel the kids are, at times,  in precarious situations at home  due to their mother.  Sorry for this long drawn out explanation..
My question is this
..is there any LEGAL problems or ramifications by me providing dental health cards via my wife's (their Step-mom's) insurance??

tigger

The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

Artista

Mom1Step2

My family is covered by my husband's plan. My daughter (his step-daughter) included. There is no issue except sometimes we get odd looks with the name difference. Thought I assume that wouldnt be the case for you since the kids probably have the same last name as you and your current wife.
The only trouble we have encountered is my daughter regarding eye insurance. For some reason she is listed on the policy as "other", so each time she gets rejected because they code her as child. I have to remind them to code her as other and it goes right through.

Artista

Hi Mom1Step2 ! Great comment, I'm glad to have joined this forum.  Just to add, when I was married to that person, I had considered filing for divorce but decided against it. My kids were only 5 & 7 at the time. I had hoped that things would get better in my marriage. Donna FILED for it and it turns out that she was having sex outside of our marriage.  I didn't find that out until 2 years later, then all of the marital problems we had had made more SENSE.    Back to the topic , I will send those dental cards BACK to them with an unbiased letter of explanation.  Thanks again Mom1'  please anyone else have any comments? Thx!!

ocean

Def. NO.
We have that Dh covers my kids, no issue.
If you know the dentist office, drop off the cards directly to them  :)  LOL

Then send her letter with new cards (registered, signed for them)
ex,
This is my second attempt to give you the children's dental cards. As you know they are covered under "Anne". I also dropped off a copy to Dr. Dentist name.
Thank you,
You 

Artista

Ocean what GREAT advice!  I will do exactly that..smart idea.  ;D

Kitty C.

Arista, I am a step-mom who carries insurance for DH, DS, and SS (health AND dental) and I also work at a dental college.  Cal the dentist's office first...unless they need to scan the card, they may not even need you to bring them in.  And unless there's something in your CO that specifically states ONLY you can provide insurance, there's absolutely no legal reason why your wife can't carry it.

Your ex is just wanting to be pissy because she knows you're happy now....she sounds like DH's ex......she didn't want him and she didn't want anyone else to have him, either!  That was 17 years ago and, after her second failed marriage, I think she's finally given in to the fact that I'm not going anywhere, LOL!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

Ditto to what Kitty said...

At one point, Dad, Myself, and Step-Dad carried medical.

Well, DAD -- yes, DAD never told hospital about Step-Dad coverage and I always, always had to follow behind and fix the billing.  You would think he would appreciate it because it reduced his out of pocket expenses, but NOPE, he was just full of hate and couldn't see the end goal.

tigger

Quote from: MixedBag on Nov 01, 2013, 12:46:32 PM
Well, DAD -- yes, DAD never told hospital about Step-Dad coverage and I always, always had to follow behind and fix the billing.  You would think he would appreciate it because it reduced his out of pocket expenses, but NOPE, he was just full of hate and couldn't see the end goal.

He got his end goal . . . making you jump through hoops and waste time correcting his actions.  He knew you wouldn't let it go and knew it would aggravate you.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!