Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 05:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Single father custody battle suggestions

Started by tlbmd, Jun 27, 2014, 07:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlbmd

Hi everyone!
I'm new to the forum!
I just wanted to get some suggestions on helping my current custody case
I'm currently fighting for custody of my 9 year old son. I have done everything I should have done and more, but I'm having issues with Guardian Ad who seems to side with everything his mother tells her.
I wanted to know if any of the fathers have had this issue? If so, what have you done to combat it? (Outside of speaking with my lawyer)

Outside of providing normally for my son..I've put him in counseling, tutoring, and insurance. What are additional things I can do to prove my abilities for my child?
For the record I'm in Georgia!

Any information is good information. Thanks in advance!

ocean

You need to prove to the courts that you can get along with mom. Put child first.
What do you have now through a court order and what do you want to get?
Primary custody to a father is very hard to still. You would have to prove neglect on the mom. Joint custody is what most judges will give out with a parenting plan for each parent.

OneMan

tlbmd

My goal is sole custody.
During the first hearing I've been granted  joint custody.
The guardian Ad absolutely hates me, my lawyer seems to think she will try to reduce my  time with my child. She misses appointments, doesn't do what she said she will do, hasn't spoke with doctors etc.

Getting along with the mother is going to be the hardest thing ever but if it means having my son I will do whatever it takes.

ocean

Joint custody is fine as it gives you both legal rights . Is it the parenting plan that you have issues with? Joint custody really is for picking schools, medical decisions. You can still be primary parent with joint custody. Many fathers have joint custody and parenting plan that detail when child will be with each parent. Look up plans online, get a detailed plan now. If it is snot written then you don't have it.

MyCubToo

Had the same issue unfortunately. Used the same guardian ad twice, last time had tons of contempt charges, police reports, and documented how the environments differed. Did not even try to go full custody and stated wanted more parenting time as I went over a week without seeing my son for more than a couple hours. Guardian Ad sided with mom once again, actually stated mom needs more time; however good news possibly for you...in court judge decided against guardian ad lidem and used all evidence and testimony to award more time. Could possibly be with a young child they automatically assume the child should remain with the mother unless child is in danger which should not be the case. It is supposed to be who facilitates the best working relationship with the other parent, and can provide a better environment