Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: BM is getting married, going to move, now what?  (Read 3016 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
BM is getting married, going to move, now what?
« on: Sep 16, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
So my children have told me that BM is going to get married at the court house this year and then move out her mother's house. They will be moving about 15-35 miles away from where she is currently living. So far I have heard 2 different cities/townships that she will be moving to, she has not said one word to me since sending me the email asking me permission to switch their schools.

I really do not want to see her move my kids out of the school district they are in and moving them into a crappier school district. Antioch has one of the worst records in the state of Illinois, the other town is exactly on par with the school district that I am in. They are currently in one of the best districts in the state of Illinois and both of my children carry straight A's throughout the year.

Can I do anything to stop her? As of now she is going to just drive them to and from school until the school year is over and then register them in the new school district. Can I suggest that my kids come to my school district instead?


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 5073
  • Karma: 172
    • View Profile
Re: BM is getting married, going to move, now what?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2014, 04:06:22 AM »
How old are the children?

You would have to gain custody of children on school days in order to register them in your district or half half custody.
You prob will not win this in court as you are not in current school district so the kids will have to move districts anyway.

Is there a reason she is moving to that town? Did she buy a house already?

You can always suggest that they move to your school district and do half custody where she can drive them to your district on her days and split the week, or do one week you, one week her. This would prob only work if you both can agree to it as it takes co-parenting to do this and a judge will prob not just do it.

Send her an email, something like this?
After hearing about the kid move, I agree they should stay in xx schools until the end of this year. I am willing to help with the driving if needed. As for next year, would it be possible for them to sign up here at xx district and we can split custody. XX district has more to offer and a better school district. I would be willing to do some driving on your days to make it easier. We can work out a shared plan. (You can suggest that this will not affect child support as she may not go for it if she thinks you will ask for no child support in return). Please let me know if this is something you would consider as we both want what is best for the kids schooling.


  • Sr. Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1013
  • Karma: -545
    • View Profile
Re: BM is getting married, going to move, now what?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
There was a central Illinois case years ago (b4 joint) where the so called CP decided to move the children approx. 100 miles to STL.  The father was able to defeat that out-of-state move.  Then the CP says OK .. she will move the children approx. 250 miles to Chicago.  The father was able to prevent the children FOREVER moving more than 25 miles from his location.  I understood the basis of the case was that "children deserve to have a relationship with both parents" regardless of the CP desires.  I suspect the school systems played a small part but the father would have won the battle on that basis as well.  This father was an acquaintance with a very close mutual friend.  Several years later I checked with the mutual friend and the children were enjoying a close relationship with both parents and thriving in life.  THE CHILDREN WON !  Thanks to Rocky (Dad).   


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.