Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daycare and Medical Bills

Started by nondeadbeatdad, Apr 06, 2013, 07:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nondeadbeatdad

I am a single father, never married the mother. Mother is custodial parent. Can the custodial parent save up medical and daycare bills for a year and then expect payment? I was never notified of either. The bills are new to me. I have a child support hearing coming up on the 9th of April 2013. Can someone let me know if this has ever happened them and what the outcome was?

Father206

My Personal Perspective:
It has never happened to me, but 12 month's worth of daycare and medical expenses is a significant surprise.  Whether you were aware of the medical or child care expenses or not, your responsibility for a portion of medical and childcare expenses for your child still remains a legitimate obligation and it will not disappear. Besides food, cloths, shelter, toys, and diapers, it is known that children need medical and childcare services.

With that said, I anticipate you will have to pay your portion of those medical and childcare expenses, but probably through a schedule of set payments in conjunction with 100% of current and future monthly medical and childcare expenses as they are incurred. 

To prevent being surprised in the future, be as proactive as you can (i.e. visit medical and childcare provider, know your child's medical history, know your child's childcare provider), stay current with financial obligations, and set aside a set amount for unforeseen expenses. #Sacrifice and be the father you would want your child to know.

To prevent this from happening to "Soon To Be" fathers, once you become aware you may potentially become a father, immediately adjust your spending habits, life style, estimate the expenses associated with having a child (e.g. child support, medical, and child care), and save like crazy. #Sacrifice and be the father you would want your child to know.

Incredulous

I would like to know how this is enforced?  Child Support can go through DCS but what about daycare and medical bills?  My boys' father just ignores the invoices I send and my attorney says nothing can be done. 

Waylon

Quote from: Incredulous on Mar 19, 2016, 07:12:11 PM
I would like to know how this is enforced?  Child Support can go through DCS but what about daycare and medical bills?  My boys' father just ignores the invoices I send and my attorney says nothing can be done.

Generally daycare and medical bills do not go through DCS, they are to be paid out of the child support or billed to the paying parent separately by you after receiving them.

Your attorney may be right- it can be very, very difficult to collect from a parent who doesn't want to pay. My ex got away without paying for more than 7 years, and it's only because she and her new husband wanted a home loan that she was forced to make good on her CS debt.

The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.