Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 05:01:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shared expenses help - ex wants me to pay 50% before financial aide?

Started by itsalluphillfromhere, Jun 07, 2017, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsalluphillfromhere

So my ex just sent me a doctored bill for camp for a week.  Her bill says she paid $350.  I called the camp they sent me a bill that showed she paid $200... I called her on it and her response was that she is entitled to 1/2 of the full amount because the discount for low-income goes to her share.  our agreement states 50% of reasonable costs.  Now she is threatening to take me to court.  seems insane to me but just running a gut check.

ocean

Look at your order carefully. It should say you are responsible for half of the bill the mother pays. You are right on this, send her a check for your half of what she paid (because my guess is she lied to the camp about your child support and what she makes to qualify for financial aid). Let her bring you back to the court for remaining amount. You do not need a lawyer , represent yourself if she serves you. Her lawyer will not file it especially if you pay the $100. Also is usually split only if she is working those hours in order for her to work. Is he working?

itsalluphillfromhere

the only thing in the order is 1/2 of reasonable costs.  that said in an e-mail exchange with her yesterday she stated that she also got a week of camp for free which would have been $350 but decided that she was not going to ask me to pay 1/2 for that.  My response was there is no difference between getting a week for free and a discounted week.  I'm not paying half of free period.  That would open up pandora's box so to speak.  Basically any discount she gets on anything I have to pay I would have to pay 1/2 of the list value.  makes no sense to me.  But I'm not a judge or a lawyer

tigger

1/2 of (reasonable) cost.  Her "cost" was $200.  Half of $200 is $100.  Period.  She's not entitled anything more than 1/2 of what she actually pays.  Anything else is "double dipping" or something equally unsavory. 
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

ocean

Idiot,
I will be sending out a check for $100 as the order states half of reasonable cost. Your cost was $200, half of that is $100. As for the other week, half of free is free so no money exchange for that week.
You

MixedBag

Ocean and Tigger are giving you great advice.

I too would say stand your ground.  Half of free is free to you too because it's focused on the child.