Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: MEDICAL DEDUCTIBLE FOR ADULT CHILD  (Read 2721 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
« on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:53:40 PM »
Dear Socrateaser,

I won Primary Physical Custody of my 23 year old Son over 13 years ago with the help of this board and also your Sage advise.

My 23 year old Son had to be rushed to the emergency for a rare life threatening condition. My Son is a recent college graduate, has a full time job, and has had his own apartment since the age of 19.

I chose to keep my Son on my High Cost Deductible Insurance during his years of college to assist with physicals and any needed counseling or medications due to the Affordable Care Act.

My question Socrateaser, am I responsible for paying this reported $4,000 deductible for my Adult Son and if so, is my Ex required to foot half of the bill?

I have not provided any medical information or signed any authorization forms for medical care as of yet. I'm so grateful that my son is yet alive and recovering successfully.

I've been hit with a lot of unforeseen legal ($$$thousands) and undergrad educational cost that my Ex left me to cover after our Son reached the age of maturation.

My Ex took our son off of her medical benefits after he reached the age of maturation which leaves me holding the ball.

Thanks in advance for your response.


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 5073
  • Karma: 172
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
There is no one here giving free lawyer advice anymore.

Here is my non lawyer advice:
1. Under the fed program, you "can" keep your child on your insurance to age 26 no matter the circumstance. Do you have to? No....
2. Since this is happening now....go to the social worker in the hospital and have them help your son go on any programs the hospital, your state, and fed programs he can go on since he is an adult living on his own. Both parents as far as I understand it are not responsible. Many times hospitals will reduce rates/copay for situations. Worst case is he gets himself better and file bankruptcy due to medical bills and starts with a clean slate.\
Good luck!


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 7924
  • Karma: 591
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
My son sustained a head injury a few weeks before turning 18. Shortly after turning 18 (and still in high school) he was taken to the ER in connection to this same head injury.  The hospital intake person asked for his insurance information and asked how he was going to pay.  He looked at me and she said, "Don't look at her.  You're 18.  Her insurance will cover what it covers but she's not responsible for the copay."  He said, "But I'm still a student."  She said it didn't matter because he was 18.  This was in NC.  (Just as a side note, I did of course pay the copay because he was still in high school and it was my responsibility morally, if not legally.)

In your case, I believe he was emancipated and therefore solely responsible for the copay and noncovered costs. 
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.