Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 03:29:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Okay to Ask?

Started by dipper, Feb 28, 2018, 05:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipper

Have a question:  My grandchild's mom is in the hospital and going to have knee surgery tomorrow on the right leg.  The last time she had knee surgery was on the left leg and she was unable to walk for 4 weeks.  Not sure if this surgery is the exact same, she just said when she had surgery on the left they had told her she would eventually need it on the right as well.   

I am a little concerned that mom will try to drive to exchanges before she is cleared to do so.  Is it okay to request that she show us a letter from doctor or at the very least the section of her discharge papers that state when it is okay to drive again?

(The reason I am concerned is past medical records revealed that there were times she was to be on crutches/wearing knee immobilizer and not driving - but she never came to exchanges on any of that and would be driving during those times.)

ocean

No, I do not think she should show you her medical records but you can ask "we know you have surgery tomorrow, regarding the exchange on xx, who will be driving child x to the exchange spot?"
Is it far, can you offer to pick up at curb side for a few weeks? You can say, we are willing to come to house , curb side and you can send xx out to car at 4pm.
Good luck!

dipper

Thank you!  Hoping her mom will do the driving for exchanges. 

tigger

Some of that has to do with recovering physically from the surgery, some of it has to do with pain medication during the recovery period.  When my stepmom had surgery, she couldn't drive the full time she was told not to.  She was recovering properly but couldn't brake and was on pain medication.  My dad (at a much older age) had the same surgery but was in better physical condition.  He didn't drive for a week but was okay after that.  When Physical Therapy came to the house, he was already 3 weeks ahead of recovery.  His range of motion was excellent, his strength and mobility were good.  He had stopped pain mediation 3 days after the surgery.  It's different for different folks. 
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

dipper

After 12 days in the hospital, the mom was discharged without leg surgery.  She said her white blood count was a little too high.