Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 16, 2024, 02:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Underage daddy does he have rights?

Started by mrstzallen, Oct 07, 2008, 10:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrstzallen

Here's my dilemma. My son who is 17 (will be 18 next month) had a child who is 6 months with a girl who is 16. The paternity of the child was uncertain. When my granddaughter was born my son got a dna test and it proved that he was the father. Since he has been seeing his daughter. Well my son wants her more than 4 hours a week. He wants joint physical custody. The mother has since stopped letting my son see his daughter. What rights does a minor have? Would he be able to get joint physical custody? He is desperate to be in his daughters life. Any help please

ocean

Go to court and get a visitation order in place (along with that will be child support). This will take months in court so he will be 18...Start the process now. Here is takes about 3 weeks to get a court date and then if you do not settle with a mediator they have you come back to the judge the next month and sometimes months after that...

DistressedMommy

He's the father, he has prrof, he has rights. Doesn't matter how old he is. I was only 17 when I had my oldest son. His father and I broke up, and he got custody, but I have rights as the parent of the child. Luckily for me my ex and I have a pretty good relationship and were able to work something out together. But I know a few people that do not speak to their children's other parent and they(the other parents) still have rights.

gemini3

If he has established paternity he has a right to see his child.  Has he also been paying child support?  While these are, technically, seperate issues he will be opening himeself up for support orders if he pursues visitation through the courts.

Does he work?  Is he living with you or on his own?

janM

Quote from: gemini3 on Dec 03, 2008, 01:35:06 PM
If he has established paternity he has a right to see his child.

If he did not pursue paternity testing through the court, they MAY not recognise it and want him to do another test that is thoroughly documented. Once that is straigtened out, he will have the right to file for parenting time. When he does, he should point out that he has a relationship with his child and that Mom was denying him access (which legally she can do, without a court order, but isn't good for the child or Dad).

Being a minor doesn't matter...he is a father. My son had his son 5 weeks before he turned 18.