Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 05:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

OSD is getting ready to drive

Started by forthekids24, Dec 12, 2007, 03:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forthekids24

I need suggestions.  
OSD is almost 16, DH is CP; BM has EOW and lives about 50 miles away.

DH and BM have one other daughter (13) together.

Currently BM sends her oldest (not DH's) daughter who is 17 to pick up SD's to transport for EOW visitation (to and from school Friday PM to Monday AM).

OSD will be getting her drivers license in the next 5 months, and DH and I will be buying her a car.  BM is refusing to contribute to the cost of the car.

BM doesn't work, lives off of the guy of the week and is always looking to get rich quick.  BM also has a younger child 1 year old.

DH and I are concerned about letting OSD take her car to BM's house for the weekends, not only because it is 50 miles away, but we are worried that if something (God forbid) happens when she has her siblings in the car with her that BM will sue us.

Have any of you had similar issues or concerns, what did you do?

Thanks!
FTK

ocean

She will just be getting a permit right? Find out exactly what the laws are in your area. Here they can not drive alone until 17 with drivers education so that would buy you another year.....Until she has her full license without restrictions, I would not let her drive that far.
JMO....

forthekids24

Here they can drive with siblings in the car before their 17th birthday if they have their parents permission AND if it is a necessity.  Helping the family... to and from school, to dr appointments etc.  

BM isn't one to follow the laws so we suspect she will want OSD to start doing the visitation transportation in addition to caring for her 1 year old sibling.

I am just really worried that BM or the older sister will try to drive the car, or something will happen and they will try to sue DH and I.

I agree, 50 miles is a long way to drive just after you get your lic.

Thanks for your feedback!
FTK

MixedBag

If dad supplies the car, dad's rules.

I'd be hesitant to let her drive 50 miles one way in the beginning too.

My rule of thumb for my girls was to "stay in town" which gave them plenty of driving area since we lived in a medium sized town.  And I gave them geographical boundaries (like don't go south over the river, don't go east past the interstate, etc).

Now -- mine too said "Hey, now I can drive myself to Atlanta when I have to go get on a plane and go see dad!"  I let them talk until it came time to really go and then they didn't even remember saying that.

I also have to drive on road trips for my business a lot, so I let each of them sit behind the wheel on a trip like that and drive a 100-mile long leg.  They got the idea quickly, that long distance driving is NOT all fun.

My girls all had plenty of accidents, geez, did we go through cars when they were teens (4 girls -- two steps, two  mine).  

I think you gotta give it some time -- and let BM keep doing what she's doing by letting BM send her oldest.  

As for suing?  Trying to remember what state or what case it was that got posted her or made the news, but a NCP was suing on behalf of their child and got told they can't because they weren't the primary residential parent......maybe some of the old timers can help me there.  But I remember thinking that I can't "help" our son because I'm not primary residential.

Giggles

First of all...BM is within her right to refuse to contribute to the cost of the car.  So on that note, you are within your right to refuse to let OSD take the car to BM's.

If it were me, I wouldn't let OSD take the car to BM's especially since she will be a "rookie" driver.  I also won't be buying my children cars either but that's me.  It's been my experience that when things like that are just given they are not taken care of.  I had to buy my own first car and I was so proud of myself for doing so...I also babied that car...anyway...

I would certainly lay out some very specific rules where the car is concerned and until she is 18 those rules apply!
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!

MixedBag

BM is within her rights to refuse to contribute to the cost of the car.

EX#1 contributed as much as I contributed.  But the girls knew how much he contributed to his step-son, so his decision didn't set too well.

EX#2 and I have not discussed the subject since our son isn't quite there yet, but I won't ask him to contribute since we live so far apart (12 hours), I just can't see our son having one car for both places.  I won't let him drive 12 hours to dad's......

EX#3 and his EX....she didn't contribute to anything for the girls.  And while she didn't have to, she went overboard in that respect and she's paying for it now in other ways.

lucky

We're very close to BM (only ~1 mile) to the point that YSD rides her bike back and forth weather permitting instead of dh or bm driving her.  YSD is also 16 yo and has her permit.  
Once YSD gets her license, we have a car for her to drive with the conditions that she pays the insurance and gas and maintenance, etc.  Both dh and I have other vehicles that we drive exclusively.  She knows that she doesn't just get a set of keys, she has to ask us for them and we will decide if she gets to drive there or not.

In addition, YSD has already been told that she CANNOT take our car over to BM's because it's our car, our rules and our butts should anything bad happen.  And our kids have all already proven over and over that "when at NCP's, CP's rules don't count".  Which in most cases IS true, but not regarding the car.

She's not happy and neither is BM as BM thought she'd get out of driving.  YSD thought that she'd get to go out (as she currently does) but she'd be driving because BM said she'd let her (BM thought the Buick was going to belong to YSD - wrong answer).  You should have heard BM whenl BM found out that YSD would have to drive BM's car in that case.  Oh man was THAT a big bang!

I don't care.  She's going to be a new, inexperienced driver and until she is of age it's my and dh's responsibility to make sure she and passengers/other drivers are as safe as we can make them.

Once YSD graduates and stuff, I'll give her the car.  We did that with two of the older three as a graduation gift (they're "beaters" but they run well, just don't look so good).  The third of the older three quit school so HE doesn't get a car.  Once that time comes, it's her own problem - on the other hand, she's never going to get her license 'cause she won't wear her glasses or contacts and I won't let her get a license till she does. :)

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

forthekids24

Wow!  Great feedback.

Lots of things to think about, and discuss with DH.

I want to protect OSD and make sure she isn't put in a situation where BM is trying to take advantage of her.

Definately will be our car that she gets to use, now just to discuss with DH and make sure we are on the same page that the car will not go to BM's house.

Thanks again!
FTK

mistoffolees

I agree with the people who say I wouldn't allow it.

However, I think you're sending the wrong message when you point out that BM didn't contribute to the cost of the car and talking about the financial issues. None of that is of any meaning to the kid, nor should it be.

If you're providing a car for the child, how you pay for it shouldn't be the child's concern. Similarly, what you allow the child to do with it should have nothing to do with who pays for it.

IMHO, as the CP, you have an obligation to parent the child to the best of your ability when the child is with you. Driving a car is a huge obligation and creates massive liability and risk. Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable for you to control that risk. IMHO, stating that the child can only drive within 10 miles of home town unless there's an adult in the car is not unreasonable for a new driver.

However, the child should be able to earn your respect and trust at some point, so you should have some understanding of what is required before the child IS allowed to drive out of town. Once she has reached that level of trust, it should not matter where she is driving to - visit friends or visit BM.

You could tell her that you do not want her driving anyone in the car without your express permission, but that's going to be hard to enforce.

I wouldn't worry too much about BM suing - that's what you have insurance for. Just make sure you pay your premiums on time and make sure that you have adequate liability coverage (in general, it should be equal to or greater than your net worth, but ask your agent for guidance).

Ref

My husband just got told by his ex that he was a sh&t for not contributing to SD's car. She is 16 and just got a license. She told him he had plenty of $ to afford it and he should be ashaimed.

I couldn't believe that just because she has her license that BM thinks she should get a car. I was 20 before I got my car. Most people were 18 before they got theirs. I really thought BM was being a pain in the a$$ asking (demanding) that he contribute.

DH thinks because Sd's grades are bad and she is missing a lot of school that she shouldn't have a car. SD has bairly spoken to him since April. Why would he buy her a car. He said if things change, he would consider it.

I am amazed that it seems like a common opinion that both parents should contribute to a car for a child when they get their license. Am I wrong, or is a car something to earn? Are kids entitled to a car when they get their license? Is DH a jerk for thinking SD has not been responsible enough?

Ref