Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 01:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Appropriate Supervision

Started by Wishing, Jul 02, 2004, 07:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishing

Need to check with other parents as a double check to my gut reaction. So here's the deal:

My 11 and 8 year old sons go to the movie with an 11 year old girl. Father of the girl buys tickets and food and leaves. Children are alone and unsupervised during the 2 hour movie. The Father arrives as the movie lets out.

I have a huge issue with these children being left on their own. No adult supervision at all. In this day, there are just too many freaks out there who are just waiting for children. Whether it be in the movie or in another very publice high traffic place, I don't think kids these ages should be left alone. Am I being too protective here? Is my gut reaction to this being totally unacceptable and a real lack in parental judgement too much?

Any comments welcome regardless of your opinion. Just looking to see if what I think is realistic or over protective. Thanks.

joni

If it were my children, that's the last movie they would see with their little girlfriend.  

Totally unacceptable....

wendl

Well my son is 12 and I wouldn't let him go to the movies with a friend alone, god only knows how much popcorn they would be throwing at people (lol)

No way in hell would I let a 8yr old go without an adult.

What kind of movie did they go see, my son gets mad cuz I won't allow him to watch certain movies (yet his stepbrothers who are 5 and 3yrs younger than him have seen movies like resident evil, geepers creepers) my son gets frustrated cuz stepbrothers see the movies he isn't allowed to.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

KIASTAR

I think it really depends on the maturity level of the child and the location. I have let my 10 yr. old go to a movie at the mall(it is in a decant area) while I looked around the mall and checked in every so often. I was there before the movie let out. My daughter is very mature for her age(she is 10 and taking high-school and college classes and has lived in the dorm at UCLA for the Summer Institute for the Gifted)I would say it depends on the child and your comfort level with the situation. Make sure you have certain rules like code words and meeting places in emergencies. JMHO

nosonew

Yep, depends on where you live.  I live in a very small town (less than 7000 people).  Very safe.  The 11 year old, no problem here.  8? I wouldn't even do that here...  My kids had to be in 5th grade before they could go with friends, alone.  Little did they know, I was there too, making sure they behaved.  They did.  By 6th grade, they went with friends, alone.

oklahoma

I remember WALKING to the movie theater in our town (population 3500) with my sisters and sometimes a friend or two to watch matinees once a week during the summer.  I'm sure I was under age 12, with three sisters younger than I.  (It's been a few years--but I am still under 30, so not decades ago....)  But there is no way I would allow my 11 or 9 year old SDs do the same thing today, even in the same town.....

Wishing

Thank you all for the feedback - I appreciate it. My computer at home was messed up this weekend so I couldn't reply.

To answer one question - I live in the DC Metroplitan area in the suburbs. It's a fairly safe place where my sons saw the movie - but not like being out in the sticks. Frankly, there are enough stories of tragedies that happen even in the sticks that I don't feel that is an out here.

I also spoke with about 8 other parents about this and all felt that it wasn't appropriate or safe. Some suggestions were the obvious - sit far away from the children but in the theater or hang out in the lobby.

I have expressed my extreme displeasure to my Ex, but as usual, I receive no reply. I just pray that if she has another lapse in judgement I'm not dealing with a tragedy as a result.

Thanks again,
Rick