Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Dads Play A Key Role In Kids' Mental Health  (Read 1350 times)


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Dads Play A Key Role In Kids' Mental Health
« on: Aug 11, 2004, 07:00:29 AM »
Dads play a key role in kids' mental health

TUESDAY, Aug. 3 (HealthDayNews) — A father's good mental health can greatly reduce the negative impact of a mother's poor mental health on children's behavior and well-being.

That's what Cincinnati Hospital Medical Center researchers report in the August issue of the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.

"If a mother and father are depressed, the odds that a child will have behavioral or emotional problems go up eightfold," study author Dr. Robert S. Kahn, a physician/researcher in the division of general and community pediatrics, said in a prepared statement.

"The risk is less elevated if only the mother reported poorer mental health and not elevated at all if only the father reported poorer mental health," Kahn said.

The study also found that when both a mother and father have mental health problems, the influence on behavioral problems in their children is especially strong in boys.

Khan and his colleagues examined data from a survey of families of 822 children, aged 3 to 12.

"Many studies have shown that poor maternal mental health has negative impacts on their children's behavior and emotional health," study co-author Dr. Robert C. Whitaker said in a prepared statement.

"Rarely have studies used information about the mental health of both parents to assess outcomes in their children. This study suggests that what happens to children's well-being when their mothers suffer mental health problems depends on whether the father is healthy," Whitaker said.

-- Robert Preidt, HealthDayNews

What you can do
If your child seems to be having emotional problems, talk to his pediatrician. She'll be able to refer you to a therapist if needed.

If you're experiencing symptoms of depression or postpartum depression, talk to someone you trust about your feelings. Your doctor will be able to help you or refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist.
• Talk to other parents who are dealing with depression.

• To learn more about adult depression, visit the National Institute of Mental Health's Web site or the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance's Web site.

Source: Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, news release, Aug. 2, 2004
Copyright © 1997-2004 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.