Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:42:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another headache by PBFH.. the "marital" home

Started by teakae, Oct 07, 2004, 11:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakae

>Anyway, maybe you can give it to her along with the remaining
>debt. Just write off the loss & get on with your life. As long
>as she accepts the responsibility, you will be in the clear.

That sounds like a great idea!

By doing this, the BM will walk away thinking she won! Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Did your son have to pay her for the house and car in addition to child support? If so, how long did he have to do that? I am not sure we can afford to do that even for a short time. Right now the mobile home is starting to foreclose but with the hurricanes in FL, I think the mortgage company is shuffling their feet because they know they can't sell it for a good price in the current market. So it may be that we have a little time. We may end up having to make the back payments but if she goes in to ruins, it will be worth it.

msme

He had to pay $600 a month in spousal support for 6 months. Then he got custody of 2 of the kids so he didn't have to pay anything, after that.

When he got the 3rd child, she was supposed to start paying but he has seen very little of that. She is supposed to be going to jail for non-payment of CS but they don't like to lock up women for that.

If I were you, I would offer to bring it up to date as long as she assumes the debt & responsibility for it. I don't think you have to do anything but sign a quit claim on it & get it notarized. Whatever you do, never lose those papers.

Paying those back payments may be the best investment you ever make. Just make sure she signs something & gets it notarized before you make the payments.

Good luck & God bless.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

Stepmomnow

I don't think the mortgage company would allow your SO to "give" the property to BM, unless he agreed to continue to pay the mortgage - she would have to refinance and get her own mortgage to pay off the SO's mortgage.  But if she does not make any money, a mortgage company will not give her a loan.  If your SO just quit claims the property to her, it is in her name, but MORTGAGE is in his name and if he does not pay, it will ruin HIS credit rating.  

msme

Sorry, I was thinking that the house was in both names. Although, my son's car was only in his name & the court gave it to her along with the debt & the loan company had to honor the order. They didn't like it but they did it.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

StPaulieGirl

I wrote a post about that last year.  Threaten to sue them for harassment and violating your civil rights.  That's what I had to do when we moved down to take care of my mom.  She had Alzheimer's and dementia.  The neighbor from hell, who moved in when I was 10, continually harassed us for 3 years, until I lost it and started screaming at the cops.

Get a lawyer.  Sue the living hell out of everyone involved.