Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:40:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

vegetables

Started by gipsy, Jul 22, 2005, 11:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gipsy

Any Idea's one getting My son to eat his vegetables ? He is 5 YO And has what seems to be the typical arguments ,

joni

Same thing happened with my SD at this age.  When we first started getting extended visitations with her, she only ate hotdogs, yogurt and drank water.  Last night, at age 8, dinner was mussels and calamari!

I came up with two rules 1) gotta try somethin' new every day and 2) gotta eat your age.  If we made corn, she had to eat five kernels.  If it was fish, 5 small pieces.  Absolutely no dessert or treats if she didn't abide by this.

She could relate to the quantity of 5 because she was 5.  This rationale made sense to her.  It was also much less overwhelming having to only eat five small pieces rather than tackle the entire plate.

We don't need to count food anymore.  Often, I'll still refer to the "gotta try somethin' new every day" rule, which she still honors.

Good luck

dontunderstand

I have a 6 and 7 yr old and a 5 yr old niece...First rule they have to have a big "no thank you" bite.  Some other things we try are 1) "sneak" ;) when we make things like tator-tot casserole, I add green beans or peas not real noticible, but still there.  2)"you get to choose" (then it isn't a forced decision!) I will also make stir fry and have the girl help me pick out what veggies they want at least 3 kinds add meat and rice.   3)"Whatever works"  My 6 yr old has decided that she likes raw veggies, but only with "dip" or ranch dressing...whatever gets it down...hope this helps a little.

gipsy

I have to try something other than forcing him , They all think they invented selective hunger ,

flewwellin

My step kids try this with me. I make one meal for the whole family, if they don't like what is on the table they do not eat anything at all.  They don't eat a snack in between meals and they get no dessert.  Sometimes they eat it sometimes they don't.  As for the veggies I guess I'm lucky.  My step son age 4 loves raw broccoli dipped in ranch dressing, loves any kind of corn, like potatoes, carrots, green beans, a lot of stuff actually.  My step daughter isn't so easy she really only likes corn if it's still on the cob, potatoes, and carrots.  

patton

Son dips EVERYTHING in Catsup, including brocoli.  We've actually moved on the sweet and sour sauce and barbeque sauce too, but everything is dipped before eaten!  But he eats a LOT of veggies that way he probably would not eat.