Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 07:44:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A couple questions

Started by cupobutter, Mar 29, 2006, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cupobutter

A.) How does one go about getting copies of police reports?  (They're for when police showed up at our residence after neighbors called in a domestic, the second time they asked my (now ex)husband to leave.)

B.) I've heard that you can change jurisdiction in a case, if the court papers don't state that that state retains jurisdiction, and that I can have the jurisdiction changed to my current state of residence.  Is that true?  And how does one do it?

4honor

Police reports are part of information under the public information domain. You can look online in your city or county and search for information on obtaining a police report , or accessing public information.

You generally must make a written request and must pay some fee - most of the time about $5 for the search and the copy costs. It goes faster if you go down to the records area - but each state/county/city is different.

I am an insurance adjuster and I ask for police reports all the time. I must state the names of the people involved, what I want (i.e., police report and officers' notes with any pictures), give the date and the time if I know it. If you have the case number, all the better.

As for question #2, that is not necessarily correct. If no one is still in the previous jurisdiction, you might be able to get jurisdiction changed. One thing you likely COULD do, is to register any existing orders (child support, visitation and alimony) in your current state, so that you can file contempt if it ever becomes necessary. This will also make it easier for the other parent/ex spouse to modify any existing orders, so that may be a double edged sword. Please consult with an attorney regarding the specific laws and statutes of your current area and the previous state/county the original order is in.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.