Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: I am at a loss please help  (Read 1240 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
I am at a loss please help
« on: May 05, 2006, 08:12:30 AM »
I am new to this site i found it on a link of some other site which i dont recall however, i am 17 years old. my home life is really bad, i dont get abused anymore but its constant fights and arguements and way to much stress. i am trying to go about getting emancipated but i havent a clue how to go about doing it. i dont know what i need to fill out or who to talk to. i cannot stay with my mother anymore. we physically fight. i just got out of jail because she punched me and i hit her back but she charged me with assault. we continuously fight and i feel i would be much better off and could focus more on my life, my self, and my school work if i wasnt under the stress and depression of my household. so my question to anyone who can help me is can anyone give me any form of information to help me get on my and get this process going. what i need to do, fill out, who i need to talk to? cuz i do not know. i live in the state of North Carolina please help me.

thank you,


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
  • Karma: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 08:31:51 AM »
I am so sorry. It sounds like you are having an aweful time. I only know a little about emancipation  because of other people who have come to this board looking for advice and my own teenage years.

First of all, to be emancipated you have to show that you can support yourself. You need to get a night job and continue school during the day. You also need to line up a place to stay. Do you have a car or live in a community with public transportation? That would help.

This is a form you need to fill out: http://forms.lp.findlaw.com/form/courtforms/state/nc/nc000407.pdf

I would take it to the court house after you filled it out and ask them how to process it.

I don't know how long the process takes or how close you are to 18, but it may be a waste of time and money (there is probably a filing fee).

This is what I recommend, based on my own experience as a 16 year old living on my own. Stick it out. It is really hard to juggle working and highschool. College classes are designed for it but highschool is not. Things are a lot more messed up on your own than you would think and you don't have long to go.

I know it is hard to live in the same house, but you are old enough where if you get a job and go out with your friends and do a lot of activities, you will be home hardly ever. It is definatly a smarter and easier route to take than to try it on your own.  You will be working toward something instead of against it.

When I was 16 I was kicked out of my mom's house and my dad couldn't handle me. Luckily my friend's mom took me in for minimal amount of rent. I worked at night and went to school during the day. My junior year I had to drop out. I eventually got my GED but it was a hard battle.

Please feel free to send me a personal message or post on this page if you have troubles. There are a couple of us that went through what you are and maybe we can offer some advice.

Good Luck


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.