Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:37:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

time limit to file an appeal

Started by tilldeathdouspart, Mar 28, 2007, 04:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tilldeathdouspart

Can anyone tell me if there is a time frame in which to file an appeal in a custody and placement case? also how do i go about starting the process and can i do it without an attorney???

Jade

>Can anyone tell me if there is a time frame in which to file
>an appeal in a custody and placement case? also how do i go
>about starting the process and can i do it without an
>attorney???

That varies with each state.  In NJ, you have up to 45 days after the decision to appeal when it is a divorce case.  Your county clerk should be able to tell you for sure.

MixedBag

each state is different and in my state, the judge actually covered the length of time for an appeal at the end of an order.

Appeals are much more difficult than even the original case.

In a very short nutshell, you have to prove a procedural error in the case or that the case should have gone the other way because in a previous case when the facts were the same it went that way type of thing.

One state, NV, had a test program in place to make it easier on folks to appeal cases to the Supreme Court.

some states it's 15 days, some 30, and like Jade said hers 45.

cinb85

Hi Jade!

Do you live in NJ?

Jade

>Hi Jade!
>
>Do you live in NJ?
>
Yes.

dipper

IN Virginia, you have 10 days from the time the order is signed by the judge.  Virginia is different in that you get a brand new hearing which is moved from J & D court to Circuit court.  You dont have to prove any miscarriage of justice or whatever, you simply go duke it out again in front of a new judge in a new court.....

mistoffolees

>IN Virginia, you have 10 days from the time the order is
>signed by the judge.  Virginia is different in that you get a
>brand new hearing which is moved from J & D court to Circuit
>court.  You dont have to prove any miscarriage of justice or
>whatever, you simply go duke it out again in front of a new
>judge in a new court.....

That's kind of strange. What's to stop every person who doesn't like a judgment from filing for appeal?

Mamacass

>
>That's kind of strange. What's to stop every person who
>doesn't like a judgment from filing for appeal?

Nothing, as far as I know.  We're in VA and won custody in September.  BM appealed, and we're still waiting for the appeal hearing.  (Its been continued once, and we're in no hurry, so we're just waiting for BM's attorney to reschedule.)  
Between the info we had on BM, and what all came out in court and the attitude BM had for the entire hearing.... she got what she deserved.  What's funny is, the judge stopped the hearing before we could even present our entire case.  So maybe during the appeal we can present more info to show BM as unfit and us as the stable loving healthy household.  
To be honest I actually like the circuit court judges even better than the J&D judge we had.  One is a dad w/ full custody of his own kids, the other is also pretty good in that he will order things that some conventional judges might not (basically he will deviate from standard visitation and include requirements that most judges would just assume that mature adults would work out on their own.)  

cinb85

Do you mind me asking what county.  I live in sussex County, but lived in Morris County about 5 years ago.

If you would rather not say, I will understand.

Jade

>Do you mind me asking what county.  I live in sussex County,
>but lived in Morris County about 5 years ago.
>
>If you would rather not say, I will understand.
>

I would rather not say.  Nothing against you, I just don't feel comfortable doing so.