Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 18, 2024, 09:33:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

financial information , can I black out info on the judge copy?

Started by spinner, Jul 06, 2007, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

Hi,
I need to send my financial information (tax record and what not) to the judge and the other party.
I will black out the personal information on the copy for the other party but can I black out informations on the copy for the judge ?

Thanks

mistoffolees

>Hi,
>I need to send my financial information (tax record and what
>not) to the judge and the other party.
>I will black out the personal information on the copy for the
>other party but can I black out informations on the copy for
>the judge ?
>
>Thanks

Almost certainly not. Why do you think the judge wants to see only part of your financial information?

And I suspect that you may find yourself in contempt if you don't send your ex complete information, either, but that depends exactly on the wording of the order and what it's for. If you were a little more specific on what your order says, it would be easier to speculate.

Or see an attorney.

spinner

no order, it's for CS calculation
I don't plan on hidding info to the judge just in the past my work received anonymous letters after my ex got the address from procedings, ... credit card ordered on my name issues, ...
which is why I want to hide some infos at least to my ex.

for CS she needs my salary and my name but not my work address or SSN number or my wife's SSN, ....

mistoffolees

>no order, it's for CS calculation
>I don't plan on hidding info to the judge just in the past my
>work received anonymous letters after my ex got the address
>from procedings, ... credit card ordered on my name issues,
>...
>which is why I want to hide some infos at least to my ex.
>
>for CS she needs my salary and my name but not my work address
>or SSN number or my wife's SSN, ....

That may or may not be true. But messing around with a judge is risky business. Seems to me that if you start handing the judge documents which have been redacted, you're asking for trouble. That's all I'm saying.

If you're not sure, then I'd ask the court clerk before doing anything (no charge) or an attorney.

Finally, seems pretty silly to risk contempt to hide your work address since that's publicly available information. She presumably already knows your SSN. The only thing that you might need to worry about is your wife's SSN.

wysiwyg

I would certainly NOT black anything out to the judge, that is a guarentee that you will PO him/her off in my opinion.

Additionally, when you provide documents to the court, (atleast here) you can go to the courthouse at anytime and request to see the files, in which all documents provided to the court are included in the file.  My point is that if you provide this to the court and blacked out info to the ex then she can simply go to the courthouse and get it herself anyways.

jilly

I think the information he wants to black out is his wife's financial information on their joint tax return.  Personally, I don't blame him.  There's no way in hell I'd willingly give my salary and SSN to the court for my DH's and his ex's CS.  If they wanted it they'd have to subpoena ME to get it and then I'd hire an attorney to fight it.

mistoffolees

>I think the information he wants to black out is his wife's
>financial information on their joint tax return.  Personally,
>I don't blame him.  There's no way in hell I'd willingly give
>my salary and SSN to the court for my DH's and his ex's CS.
>If they wanted it they'd have to subpoena ME to get it and
>then I'd hire an attorney to fight it.

That may be, but if the court asks for a tax return and you provide an incomplete tax return (by blacking out parts), they're not going to be happy. When you make a decision to file jointly, this may be the consequence. If you really don't want anyone to see the new spouse's information, file separately (yes, you'll pay more in taxes in most cases, but that's not the court's concern).

As I suggested, I would consult an attorney and/or the court clerk before doing this. The last thing you want to do is alienate the judge.

awakenlynn

We give out the information as requested and then when the paperwork asks for spousal information we write in n/a to everything

mistoffolees

>We give out the information as requested and then when the
>paperwork asks for spousal information we write in n/a to
>everything

It will be interesting to hear what the judge says to this. I can't see how a step parent's information could be irrelevant - at least in the states I've lived in.

spinner

well the answers are here, hearing was yesterday.

Here is what I did.
I filed a non blanked copy to the judge with a confidential notice. Meaning that in our state this goes into a special party of the record accessible only for the judge or with a court order.

I served the other party with a blacked out copy. she complained about it in court. The judge told her that he had the numbers and could confirm that they are accurate

I hope that helps others