Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mom, Boyfriend Charged With Drowning Kids

Started by Brent, Dec 10, 2003, 04:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

'Massey said authorities know what the motive was, but he would not provide details other than to say it did not involve life-insurance money. '

The only other motive it might be is that there is/was a custody dispute.  Sounds reasonable:  Typical PBFH, doesn't want the kids/responsibility but CERTAINLY doesn't want the father to have custody, because she'd miss out on all the wonderful CS money every month.  Maybe the dad(s) were getting TOO close to obtaining custody, tho. Typical dog in a manger, if she couldn't have them, then by God, the dads wouldn't get them either.  All speculation, tho.  Can't wait to hear what the REAL motive is.

As for the car going under so quickly, there are ways to do it.  Which is why the investigators kept trying to replicate it.  They're testing to see how long it really takes.  If there was NO one around, who knows how long they waited until they called 911????  But if they left the windows open, it would sink a LOT faster.

There is a SPECIAL place in hell waiting for the both of them.........
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Davy

Mother, boyfriend accused of drowning children in lake

Three children murdered.

Neither Hamm nor LaGrone still lives in Clinton. Lagrone was arrested at a motel near the St. Louis airport where he was living.  Hamm was taken into custody at a mission in Bloomington, each on charges of first-degree murder.

Despite the arrests, authorities continued to withhold details of the case.

At a news conference Wednesday afternoon at the DeWitt County Sheriff's Office, Massey cited a state Supreme Court ruling that he said does not allow him to release information that might prevent the defendants from getting a fair trial.

He also suggested that the case was too complicated for people to understand anyway.

"Believe me, you wouldn't understand it," Massey said. "You'll have to see the whole case to understand it."

Massey said Hamm and Lagrone will face nine counts of first-degree murder with aggravated circumstances. The aggravated circumstances allow a prosecutor to seek life in prison or the death penalty.

Paraphrasing the charges, Massey explained that the aggravated circumstances were presented partly because "the acts of the defendants that caused the deaths of these children was exceptionally brutal and heinous, indicative of wanton cruelty." Other reasons were the number of victims and their ages.

"Most people are going to be appalled when they see this case in court," the sheriff said.

Special prosecutor Roger Simpson, a private attorney from Monticello, will lead the prosecution to avoid a possible conflict of interest because Hamm's mother works in the DeWitt County state's attorney's office.

"There's some significant evidence that we were coming up with in the last 60 days," he said, adding that the evidence leading to the charges came from "hundreds" of interviews, vehicle testing and medical testing, including autopsy results.

Massey did acknowledge that investigators suspected foul play from the start.

"I think we realized early on it wasn't an accident," he said.

However, Hamm's former neighbors in Clinton have staunchly defended her and Lagrone, saying it's "ridiculous" to think they would intentionally hurt the children.

Massey declined to discuss why the couple was at the boat ramp but had no boat.

StPaulieGirl

The male defendent isn't the father of these children, so where are the dads?  Maybe dying a thousand deaths right now.  According to the picture caption, one is the half brother of the other 2?  I don't want to look at the pic again.  It makes me sick.  

Anyone one would try and rescue their children.  Look at how many people die running into burning buildings, not only to rescue their kids, but other people as well.  I think the key to this may be the bf.  No people I'm not bashing men.  The Susan Smith case rears its ugly head again.  She did it because the man she was cheating with, didn't want to raise her boys.  Bye bye kids, I'm more important than you!

StPaulieGirl

Good analysis, Kitty.  It very well could be because of a custody dispute.  There could be multiple fathers involved, so were all of them going for custody at the same time?

We all know car seats save lives, but I could just imagine in a real accident, where the car ends up in the water, trying to hold your breath and fumble with the damn things.  This brings back the whole Susan Smith thing.  Poor babies.

Let's see what comes out during trial.  Of course there is a special place in hell for them.  Not to mention special sections of prison....

Kitty C.

'Special prosecutor Roger Simpson, a private attorney from Monticello, will lead the prosecution to avoid a possible conflict of interest because Hamm's mother works in the DeWitt County state's attorney's office.'

They ain't taking any chances of having a mistrial, are they now???  These people are TOAST.  The death penalty???  WoooHoooooo!  Some may consider that the easy way out for these vermin, but think about it.  It just means they will find that special place in Hell that much sooner.

Davy, if you find out anymore on this case, please post it, would you?  I am confused on the part where Massey says the case is too complicated for everyone to understand.  Just points more in the direction that there's a custody issue involved here as well.  Betcha dollars to donuts that's the case, that a custody fight had SOME bearing on it some way....
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

StPaulieGirl

[p]He also suggested that the case was too complicated for people to understand anyway.

[p]"Believe me, you wouldn't understand it," Massey said. "You'll have to see the whole case to understand it."

[p]Oh boy.  Custody dispute?  

[p]Massey said Hamm and Lagrone will face nine counts of first-degree murder with aggravated circumstances. The aggravated circumstances allow a prosecutor to seek life in prison or the death penalty.

[p]Paraphrasing the charges, Massey explained that the aggravated circumstances were presented partly because "the acts of the defendants that caused the deaths of these children was exceptionally brutal and heinous, indicative of wanton cruelty." Other reasons were the number of victims and their ages.

[p]"Most people are going to be appalled when they see this case in court," the sheriff said.

[p]Can anything be worse than drowning, trapped in your car seat?  Were they trapped in their car seat?  This is quite possibly going to be uglier than we think...

[p]close tags...

StPaulieGirl

I'm thinking there's something else going on here, besides murder by drowning.  9 counts=death penalty...well it should.  Now why are there 3 counts against each death?  

A theory: the children were already dead.  The car was pushed off the boat ramp, with the murderers planning on just walking away.  They realized that someone saw the whole thing, and they had to change their plans.  Yeah, it's swiss cheese....full of holes.  

Indigo Mom

I can't be certain, as I was getting the kids ready for school and not paying "too" much attention, but I believe someone said the seatbelts were NOT on.  

Brent

> However, Hamm's former neighbors in Clinton have staunchly
> defended her and Lagrone, saying it's "ridiculous" to think they
> would intentionally hurt the children.

Yeah, parents never hurt their children. Just like Susan Smith didn't.

Helping Dad

I live about 30 minutes from Clinton IL and was totally sickened when I heard about this back in September.  What a precious picture of those three kids!  Hopefully the case against them is strong and they will get what they deserve!  I know I would have been in that lake getting my babies out with ever inch of my being.  What a poor excuse for a mother!  Sorry, just had to get that out of my system!