Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 05:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Billing problem

Started by Ref, Sep 13, 2006, 05:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

Hey Soc.

I forgot to add my state estimated business taxes (I am a partner)on my financial affidavit. I did include a copy of the cancelled check with the affidavit. I emailed my lawyer to tell him about this error before he even received it and he passed the issue to his paralegal.

She (the paralegal) emailed me back today saying that she would find the state income tax info off the internet and calculate it. First of all, I already had an accountant calculate it for me. Second of all, I already paid it and sent a copy of the check with my affidavit to her. Third of all, she only had my personal income information (distributions). She has no way of being able to recalculate my estimated state taxes.

Now I am afraid they are going to bill me for her trying to be a tax accountant.

1. If I have a problem with something the paralegal did, can I call my lawyer and ask not to be billed for her time doing that?

2. Is it normal practice to bill for phone calls with clients regarding billing issues?

3. Would this type of request be looked at as me being difficult? (I don't want to piss-off my attorney before court)

Thanks
Ref

socrateaser

>1. If I have a problem with something the paralegal did, can I
>call my lawyer and ask not to be billed for her time doing
>that?

You should have told her that you would handle it and get back to her with the correct info. By saying nothing in response to her statement that she would handle it, you authorized the work -- and the bill.

>
>2. Is it normal practice to bill for phone calls with clients
>regarding billing issues?

If you are saying that you are being billed for issuing you a bill, then that would be a violation of the Rules. An attorney cannot charge you for the cost of doing business (billing, rent, utilities, local food and transportation). The key is "reasonable" in view of what other attorneys with similar credentials, experience, etc., in the same locale do.

No judge would view charging for making you a bill as reasonable.

If you're talking about something else, then I don't know what your talking about! ;-)

>
>3. Would this type of request be looked at as me being
>difficult? (I don't want to piss-off my attorney before
>court)

I don't know your attorney, so I have no comment.