Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 11:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

emergency contact/legal guardina

Started by DK, Mar 03, 2004, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DK

I am the father of a 10 yo.  I have joint/shared legal and physical custody.  My son started afterschool care.

The BM told me to fill in the blanks on my information.  The afterschool care almost did not let me and my wife because only the BM was listed as legal guardian and she did not list my phone #, which she know and calls weekly.

My wife (the step-mom) was not listed at all.  The step-father was listed second and as emergency contact.  The afterschool care said they would call in order of mom/dad, then step-mom/step-dad, but admitted they way it was written out I (the father) and step-mom would never get called.

Question:  I believe for emergency situations there is an order hospitals will call.  What are they?

Is there anything, or should I do anything, regarding not being listed as legal guardian?

If step-dad is listed, then should step-mom?

socrateaser

Well, I don't deal in what people "should" do -- only in what they "can" do. You have to decide your best course of action.

If you have a court order showing that you have joint legal custody, then you can send a letter to the daycare provider, with a copy of the court order and demand that they list you as the ONLY emergency contact other than the BM, and that if they do not comply, that you will institute a contempt action against them as agent for the BM in frustrating your joint custody rights.

You can also send a letter the BM, first and demand that she modify the contact list or you will file a motion for contempt against her.

Obviously, if she refusees to comply with the law, then your only recourse is to actually file the motion, which may be difficult for you to accomplish without the assistance of a lawyer, making this a cost-prohibitive option. But, it is your legal option to make that decision.

I cry_ in_the_dark

Hope all is well with you.

Along the same lines, my daughter was taken to the emergency a few days ago, and outside of what my daughter has told me, I know nothing.

1.) Would a letter to the Hospital requesting the information they have on file, followed by a letter in the same regards to either the hospital or CP with the same content as you suggested be in order? As well, would I be able to demand to the hospital that I be called immediately should either of my children be taken there?

Glad to see you back Soc  ;-)