Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 05:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Filing a joint custody agreement without lawyers(both parties)

Started by whippertizzy, Feb 16, 2004, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippertizzy

My Husband and his childs mother want to file a joint custody agreement.
50% joint physical and legal custody. The have just about finished drawing up an agreement that covers all the particulars.  But they seem at a loss with what to do next. My husband says it just has to be filed with the circuit clerk where the mother lives.  Does it have to be filed with the circuit clerk where we live too?  This is the most civil custody conversation I have ever heard. She insists on the 50% shared custody, and that there is a section of the agreement that says neither party pays either party child support.(  I think this is due to the fact that the child is probably going to spend more time with us than her, but who knows, maybe she is a decent human being) Is there anything I should be on the watch for? The agreement is pretty specific.  The Mother ABHORS lawyers and the courts in general because she has an older child that she was constantly in court with.  My husand has no problem with her not wanting to go through the courts, which leads me to my next question.  Does it have to go through the court, or once they draw up and sign the agreement, can they just file it, and thats that?

forthekids24

My DH just did this in CA. (It might be different in your state/ county).

DH and the BM wrote up the agreement, took it to a Notary where they both signed it, the Notary did her thing, then it was filed with the court, and the Judge signed it.

Pretty easy, but the court required that the document was Notarized before it was filed.

Call your court clerk and ask them what they need for a stipulated agreement to be filed.

Good Luck!!
FTK

whippertizzy