Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:23:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Availability of Information

Started by gumdropgirl, Mar 20, 2007, 03:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumdropgirl

Ok, I know soc isn't here but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

How do I go about getting the criminal record and driving record of my ex? I'd also like copies of police reports etc. from any incident involving her.

I have looked, but I can't seem to find any information regarding who the information can be released to or how to request it, or even if it is confidential and can't be requested.

The jurisdiction is NM, and I'd like to get the info without a court order as I want to avoid tipping her off that I have it.

Thanks....

HelpingHands

In some states(virginia for instance) the criminal, civil and traffic records are kept on a database in the courthouse which is accessible to the public. You can either go to the courthouse or go to their official website and search the state and or counties.

Try running a search in google or similar search engine for the state and searchable court databases in the counties needed. Or you could go to the courthouse and ask to have copies of the records. In Va, in the area I needed info from, I just gave them the name of the person, date of birth anf they made certified copies of all of the warrant summons they had in the county and city.

As for driving records I'm not sure just anybody can pull those. I haven't been able to do that yet, so I will be curious to the answer :)

HTH...

mistoffolees

You might contact a private investigator in your area. They may know ways to do it. It probably won't cost anything to ask.

MixedBag

for police reports, call them and start asking what they require to get a copy.  That's what I did and just asked them to do searches on the names of the folks involved.  Then had to send them a money order, and they faxed them to me.

FLMom

I like doing online research. If you'd like to PM me your information I'll be happy to do a search for you, then show you what I linked to so you can find it next time.

I had luck two different ways. To get an "arrest record" here in Florida, I went to the local office of the state law division to get copies. I don't remember it costing much. Another thing I did was get one particular arrest record for a character witness. I knew where the arrest had been made, so I went to that particular city's sheriff's office and asked for a copy of that person's arrest record. I was even able to go to the jail he spent weekends at and get a copy of what weekends he served, and when he checked in and out, after he had violated his probabation.

States are all different. Florida has a "Sunshine Law" where your state to start pointing you in the right direction.

FLMom

MixedBag

see her message, she said she'd help you

gumdropgirl

sent, thank you all, now maybe I can get somewhere with this lol.

FLMom

PM answered--talk to you soon!

jilly

>As for driving records I'm not sure just anybody can pull
>those. I haven't been able to do that yet, so I will be
>curious to the answer :)

In my State (NC) you can't get driving records unless you're an attorney or someone else who needs the information for a valid reason. I think most States are like this, for privacy reasons.

FLMom