Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 07:16:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying to get custody of my son

Started by MichiganDad, Oct 02, 2004, 05:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecentDad

Good luck with all of it.

Though I wouldn't wish any pain or suffering on you, in the long run, it actually may not be a bad thing if he attacked you in front of son.  Talk about taking a fast-track to get him out of son's life (i.e., he would either have to leave the home, or you could argue emergency change of custody due to his presence).

DD

Stepmom0418

I would try and call and speak to the school personally.....If you then get the cold shoulder let them know that you will have your attorney contact them and you will be contacting the state board of education as well.

Here is a page that quotes the law. Maybe if you recite that to the school they would be more likely to respond. They can not deny you the records UNLESS there is a court order that specifically revokes those rights!

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/reportcards.htm

It took SS's school about 3 weeks to finally respond to DH. DH sent a letter that included the court order that gives him joint legal custody as well as a ton of emails. The finally sent the information out when Dh mentioned contacting his attorney and the State Board of Education. Once we got the information we found that SS had missed over 70 days of school in a 2 year period. We have also found that SS scores are really low due to him not being at school.

Now DH has weekly contact with SS teacher and she has been very helpful this year in telling DH what we need to be working on to help SS reading level.

It was very frusterating for DH when the school wouldn't send the information to him. Come to find out BM had told school that SS's father was not in his life. BM has been doing anything in her power to try and keep DH out of SS's life.

BM even went as far as telling the courts that SS is scared to death of me and DH! Of course the she asked for supervised visits. We went to court and fought it and it came out in our favor.

Since that did not work she just stated denying visits all together. We seen SS last weekend for the first time in 5 weeks due to her denial. SS was VERY happy to see us and told us that he had heard alot of bad things about us but he does not believe any of the things he was told.

BM is doing all of these things (plus many i did not mention) and we have a final trial date of Feb 9th and 10th. We have our fingers crossed that the judge sees what she is doing and will detirmine that physical custody be with Dh with visitation to BM.

Keep pushing the school!! Dont give up no matter what! You never know what those records might tell!

MichiganDad

Hi, this is the step mom now and we sure do appreciate all of the advice.  I wish we had found this site a lot sooner.  The principal of the school did contact my husband today finally.  I think after the certified letter she decided it would be a good idea.  She told my husband that the records were being sent out today and that if he provided stamped self addressed envelopes that she would make sure to mail him weekly.  The ex did allow her son to call his father last night which amazes me.  I think from now on we will bring down a video camera just in case the stepfather decides to act on his threats.  I've been looking into a phone recorder for a cell phone and will hopefully be getting that soon.  Those conversations would help out alot I believe.  It would finally give us some proof.  We were just so naive to all of things that can be done to prove our point but now that we have some good advice we will put it to work for us.  My husband just gets so negative with this whole situation because nothing ever seems to work in his favor or for the best interest of his son.  After the therapist discovered all of the things that were happening at the house and recommended he not be returned there we kept him for three weeks until his ex filed an ex parte pick up order.  Unfortunately the judge that was hearing cases that day was not a family law judge, he was a sit in so he didn't care why we had kept him and gave him right back to the mother.  It was unbelievable.

Stepmom0418

I wish you the best of Luck! Some of the judges out there dont care or just dont understand. Keep us updated on your situation.

smtotwo

Friend marries man with 2 kids, his ex also remarries.

Usually bull, denied visits, no phone contact, threats of violence.

In court for comtempt judge orders family counseling for all 4 parties.

At the FIRST counseling session ex's new husband hits friends husband, IN THE COUNSELING SESSION!!

Friend and husband file emergency order and custody is transferred to them THAT DAY.

How truly ignorant are some people?