Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 19, 2024, 11:53:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ex BOYFRIEND doesn't want me in relationship w/ other man

Started by blissful73, Apr 01, 2009, 11:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blissful73

I have a child with an ex boyfriend. He recently found out that I have a new boyfriend. This new boyfriend of mine is a sweet, respectful, father of 2. He has spent the night a few times in the past 4 months. My daughters father says that it's illegal for me to have overnight guests. I know that this is often in divorce settlements, but I was never married to my ex.

We have no custody or visitation through the court system. We set our own schedule. Can my ex actually take me to court and have a judge tell me that I cannot have guests stay over? He also told me that he could get full custody, which I think is completely crazy!

Does anyone know for sure? This all seems so crazy to me. By the way, I live in RI.

Thanks for any info!

*iLUVmySD*

Until you have something from the court dictating custody and visitation arrangements, anything can happen.  If I were you, I would file first before your ex gets a chance to.

gemini3

No, your ex cannot take you to court and ask that you be prohibited from having overnight guests, nor would that alone be grounds for him to get full custody of your child.

MomofTwo

Never listen to your ex in these situations..he is wrong. He no more can tell you not to move on with your life than you can tell him not to move on with his.

It is certainly not grounds for him to gain custody (unless your current bf has a history of child abuse)... 

But, how did he find out your new bf sleeps over? If you told him, why? If someone else told him, maybe you shouldn't be telling people things that relay them back to him... If he is going to get upset and start causing problems,  be smart about what you tell him.   You certainly have the right to move on, but you really need to keep your private life private, especially if it is only going to instigate him and cause him to start with the courts.  Once the courts are involved, they are always involved.