Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jun 22, 2024, 03:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Emancipation, please help.

Started by j9valjean, Apr 28, 2007, 05:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j9valjean

I am seventeen, and will be turning eighteen this up and coming December. I hold a steady and full time job. I had been living with my boyfriend's family in Chicago since I was 15 (held a job the entire duration except for a couple months), and just recently moved back to Florida (where I am still a resident) for cheap school. I do live with my parents (who have both agreed to get me an emancipation), but provide my own food, clothing and everything else imaginable. I have just been confronted with paying rent. I need the emancipation to be able to have a checking account, so life is easier for me when I move back out, hopefully fully on my own. I am wondering what sort of "evidence" and information I need to get together and present. I am also wondering if I need to pay for a lawyer, or someone and, what I will have to do and how long this approximately takes. I am grateful for any information. Please respond via this thing or email: [email protected]

-Jeanine

Jade

>I am seventeen, and will be turning eighteen this up and
>coming December. I hold a steady and full time job. I had been
>living with my boyfriend's family in Chicago since I was 15
>(held a job the entire duration except for a couple months),
>and just recently moved back to Florida (where I am still a
>resident) for cheap school. I do live with my parents (who
>have both agreed to get me an emancipation), but provide my
>own food, clothing and everything else imaginable. I have just
>been confronted with paying rent. I need the emancipation to
>be able to have a checking account, so life is easier for me
>when I move back out, hopefully fully on my own. I am
>wondering what sort of "evidence" and information I need to
>get together and present. I am also wondering if I need to pay
>for a lawyer, or someone and, what I will have to do and how
>long this approximately takes. I am grateful for any
>information. Please respond via this thing or email:
>[email protected]
>
>-Jeanine

I wouldn't bother with an emancipation (your parents would then no longer be able to even mention rent as they are both legally and financially responsible for you until emancipation) since you are so close to 18 anyway.  By the time you were to get it done, you would probably be 18.  And you would have spent money that you could have saved for your own place.  Check around at different banks, you should be able to get a checking account.  The only thing is that your parents would have access to it.  

j9valjean

I have searched high and low for a bank that offers checking accounts to minors without a parental cosigner with very unfruitful results. I am in strong doubt such things exist anymore. Neither of my parents can cosign on my account because of financial debt, totally destroyed credit and bankruptcies on both accounts. Because of owing money to a couple banks already, neither of them will (and I am not sure if they even could) cosign on an account with me without having an operational and debt free account of their own. I know the whole point of a cosigner is to prevent the overdrawing of money on the minor's part so the bank does not end up burnt. I do not have any other family members, or even friends for that matter that can or will sign for me. I suppose there is no point of going through this process when I will be eighteen in eight months, but I do not know of any other way to go about things, financially speaking. I have to pay a cell phone bill using a pay-as-you-go debit card (not sure what to call it), its very inconveniant. If what you say about this process being a very long one is right, I will pass it all up and wait it out. I make enough money to be able to spend on the emancipation, so I am not concerned with this. As far as my own place goes, I am planning on moving with the same boyfriend in Chicago, this time in an apartment he is signing the lease on (he is 19).

lucky

I would consider using money orders which are available at banks, some supermarkets and some convenience stores.  These require a fee to purchase so it would be prudent to "shop around" for the cheapest ones.  I know here in MN, you can get them for 19 cents at some places.  These also give you protection if they're lost in the mail, etc. like checks do, you just have to hold onto your own copy.

I agree with Jade in that you will likely BE 18 before you get the emancipation completed and then you really will have wasted your money that I'm sure you can find another use for.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

mistoffolees

I'm not sure that banks require a PARENT cosigner - just someone over 18. Can't you have a friend sign for you to get a checking account?

MixedBag

joint account holder -- cosigner -- not the same really, but the banks will check your records when you open an account.

They go to I believe a company called "Check Systems" to see if you have any outstanding checks that haven't been paid in full and stuff.  A completely different system than credit cards and works about the same.

backwardsbike

I just wanted to comment on your obviosu maturity.  You sound very level headed for someone not quite 18.  Ihtink you are headed in the right direction.  I wish you all the luck in the world.  And quite frankly- with all the fees banks charge on accounts these days, ihtink money orders may be the way to go, at least for now.