Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jun 23, 2024, 11:51:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is supervised visitation?

Started by maxwell, Mar 10, 2004, 06:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwell

I go back to court on Monday (2nd temp hearing to compel BM to comply, and show she has violated current court order, and ask for full custody - currently its joint - every othe week), and it seems the GAL will be there and is going to support my effort for full custody of my 1 year old son. Currently BM has diappeared with him yet again (I am hoping to pick him up Sunday for my week of custody, if she calls to tell me where she is now).  But given her past and recent history (drugs, evicitions, criminal activity, violation of current court order, failure to meet with GAL in our case, etc.) and her general instability (which the GAL agrees with) - I want to ask for supervised visitation, if I do get custody.  However, I really don't want her in my home.

So what is supervised visitation?
How does it work (or does it vary by state, etc.) ?
(Does it mean she comes to my home with her other 2 kids - each from different fathers - and get to visit my son in my home under my supervision? I am very leary of this as she uses drugs and is a known thief and I wouldn't put it past her to 'plant' something in my home as she has made false, later dropped on strong advisement by her then attorney, allegations of harassment against me.)

We live in 2 different states (about 100 miles apart) and the case is being held in her state (actually a different county now as she has moved twice since we started last summer).

thx!

Kitty C.

Supervised visitation can be done at a selected facility and can be monitored by a professional, if you don't want to do it.  BUT, she will have to PAY for it, too.  To be honest, it's better to have an objective 3rd party and a neutral location for supervised visitations anyway.  Cuts down on the crap and keeps the kid out of the middle.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

maxwell

The. I just finally confirmed that with my attorney also. Seems, given the circumstances, and instability and flight risk of BM, etc. we are going to ask for suspended visitation until social services gets involved, drug tests, psych tests, etc.

wendl

My ex has supervised visitation but I requested it be supervised by his sister because my child knows this woman well and is comfortable and I know she would never let anything happen to him, but unforntunately dad rarely takes his visitation.

They aslo have places that will supervise the visitation for free, I know the GAL that works in my attorneys office does supervisions for family so may want to look into that as well.