Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 28, 2024, 10:25:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

To: Kitty, and any other Iowans

Started by lissa68, Jun 10, 2004, 10:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lissa68

Melissa(lissa68)

About HF22

Am I correct in my understanding of this bill now law, that this is not only for those divorcing, but for all whom choose to modify their existing decrees?

Lissa68

Stepmom0418

I really dont know the answer to this but I am going to guess that if you have grounds to modify then... I would say the law is the law any which way you look at it, even with a modification.

Hawkeye

My understanding is that it applies to anyone seeking a modification to their stipulations/decree.  It goes into effect July 1st, so if you've already petitioned the court for a change (modification) you might want to hold off until after July 1st for any court hearing.  Ask your lawyer to file a continuance (delay) to give you time to prepare.

Of course, in Iowa that means there has been a "change in circumstances". The definition and criteria is vauge and different lawyers will tell you different things. Some are saying that HF22 itself is a change in circumstances.

Disclaimer: not meant as legal advice, just my opinion.

lissa68

Melissa(lissa68)

We are in Iowa, and husband has a court date for July 13, 2004.  So it will have been in effect for 13 days.

His modification was entered in January of 2004, how can he use this to his advantage?  BTW  Hubby is Pro-se.

Thanks all,

Lissa68

Kitty C.

Let's put it this way:  I have yet to see anything that states modifications are NOT included.  In fact, one comment I heard is that the courts may very well be deluged with petitions for modifications after July 1.  Of course, they must also meet the requirement of 'significant change of circumstance', too.

BTW, you have mail..............
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

lissa68

Melissa(lissa68)

I got the email,  thanks for the info.  Curious as to what Soc might reply with, but this is all in all very good for my hubby as he is modifying and his court date is July 13.

Thanks Kitty,

Melissa  Lissa68