Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 02:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Visitation Change

Started by jeffro, Feb 04, 2004, 05:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffro

My step sons father did not get involved in his life until he was 3.  Even then, it was only because he was living with his folks and his folks wanted to see him that he actually started to get him every other weekend.  

It seems that he has "taken off" again.  No one knows where he is at and we were told he moved back to Indiana (we live in Ohio).  I dont think we will see/hear from him for awhile.  

My concern:  He attempts to come back into my sons life after X amount of time.  Assuming X is more then 6 months, and wants to restart his visitation.  Want to know if I can, and if I should go back with his mother to modify the visitation order in some way.  I don't think it is good for him to come back in his life and then leave when ever he wants.   This is the 2nd time he has abandoned him.  He also is over 20K in arrears.

Advice please.

Thanks,
Jeff

jeffro

mom4good

We recently hired an atty and want visitation changed w/ the NC BM and he said that if she hasn't paid support in a year or contacted her child in a year that she basicly abandoned her and that all we would have to do is file, have the paperwork sent to her last known address and if she no longer lives there and we don't know where she lives then we would win by default.
All you have to do is make a reasonable attempt (certified mail) to let them know.

Good Luck

socrateaser

Want to know if I can, and if I should go back with his mother to modify the visitation order in some way.  

I don't do should. It's up to you to try to decide what is in the child's interests. Legally, if the father is absent for a prolonged period, in some States that is sufficient cause to obtain an order terminating the absent parent's parental rights. This would also cut off your future right to child support, but as it appears you aren't getting any as it stands now, you would have nothing to lose.

I can't tell you specific IL law on this issue, only that it is likely possible.

:)