Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Oct 18, 2024, 01:25:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Qs on new living arrangments

Started by DecentDad, Aug 11, 2006, 09:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecentDad

Hi Soc,

I'm hearing word that biomom has to leave her current apartment.

As long as I've known her, she's avoided working more than a few hours per week by befriending people who "loan" her money and then who disappear within a year.  She's claimed her net is $400/month, but she got imputed at $3750/month in 2005.

Her latest buddy is a parent of one of child's classmates.  This mother has joined biomom at court hearings.  She started the year friendly with me in passing-by, now glares at me and doesn't return greetings.  The other parent is married with two kids.  Physician husband is seemingly never around, and they live in a large house on the beach in west Los Angeles.

Biomom has increasingly enmeshed herself and child with this family.  They're currently on vacation together.

I've learned that biomom will likely be moving into their poolhouse.  I don't know any details about it.

1.  A one or two bedroom beachfront poolhouse in Santa Monica is rented at a hefty monthly rate (e.g., $3000+).  If she lives rent-free or well below market value, is this income that is attributed to her net for purposes of CS calculations in the future?

2.  Is this a weird arrangement, or is it just me?  Meaning, would court care to see child have more time in a traditional family setting (i.e., my home)?  Or does it only matter if it has measurable negative impact on child?

Thanks,
DD

socrateaser

>1.  A one or two bedroom beachfront poolhouse in Santa Monica
>is rented at a hefty monthly rate (e.g., $3000+).  If she
>lives rent-free or well below market value, is this income
>that is attributed to her net for purposes of CS calculations
>in the future?

Yes, but as she is already being imputed at #3,750 per month, this arrangement is just confirmation that she can earn even more than that. So, it's good insurance for you against a support mod.

>
>2.  Is this a weird arrangement, or is it just me?  Meaning,
>would court care to see child have more time in a traditional
>family setting (i.e., my home)?  Or does it only matter if it
>has measurable negative impact on child?

At the moment, the new location is likely an improvement in lifestyle for the child, so you're not gonna get any mileage in court. If you can show some danger, such as the lessor's engaging in criminal activity, then you have a case, because this calls the mother's choices and fitness as a parent into question.

So, weird or not, it's none of your beeswax -- at, least so far.