Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 27, 2024, 04:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deductions...

Started by Sunshine1, Feb 11, 2007, 08:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine1

I filed my taxes this year with both my children as dependents.  My CO states that if BF is in CS arrears as of Dec 31st.  I may claim both of them.

I had mailed my medical arrears to BF in Nov.  He gets 30 days to respond, Dec. 19 was 30 days and I mailed to CS for them to collect.

So the rest of Dec comes and goes,  January comes and goes,...I filed my taxes because noone told me otherwise that they were not added.

I finally went on the CS website to take a look around and came to see they had NOT added the arrears I had sent in.  (not the first time).  I had a lengthy conversation with my worker that they received my packet on the 29th of December, and that was a Friday and a holiday weekend there would have been no way they would have dealt with it that day.

Then she said she went on 3 weeks vacation and noone did her case load and as of February 1st she was just looking my packet over (but not before I left her a message in the morning with my return call being at 5:30 PM).  Then she proceeded to tell me that since the new law changed, she needed to send the packet back to me, I had to get it notarized and fill it out in the new format.  

Then some of the items on the list were questionable and that even though she can't tell me what I can and cannot claim, that if the BF disputes any of them we would end up back in court.

Ok..I was under the impression that he was in arrears, he's always in arrears, and the 400.00 was not added in a timely manner by the CS office and I now have several hoops to jump through.  As of Dec 31st their office does show he was paid up.  My office says otherwise. :)

1. Who is right here?  Me or CS office?

2. Is this worker suppose to dispute my claims before the BF even sees it or is she suppose to let the BF file an objection?

3. Any other words of wisdom?

4. How much does one child run these days, as in how much would I have to give back?

Case in MN (Still have the return not spending it until I know what is going on)

Thank you

socrateaser

>1. Who is right here?  Me or CS office?

Federal law has changed and it has become MUCH more specific concerning who can take the exemption and under what conditions.

See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf, page 11. The rules may convince you that you are entitled to the deduction regardless of what your state CS office tells you.

I can't analyze your situation without reading your original and most recent court orders. Also, if you want a definitive analysis, I'll have to charge you (yes, sometimes Soc needs money).

Sunshine1

I filed my taxes this year with both my children as dependents.  My CO states that if BF is in CS arrears as of Dec 31st.  I may claim both of them.

I had mailed my medical arrears to BF in Nov.  He gets 30 days to respond, Dec. 19 was 30 days and I mailed to CS for them to collect.

So the rest of Dec comes and goes,  January comes and goes,...I filed my taxes because noone told me otherwise that they were not added.

I finally went on the CS website to take a look around and came to see they had NOT added the arrears I had sent in.  (not the first time).  I had a lengthy conversation with my worker that they received my packet on the 29th of December, and that was a Friday and a holiday weekend there would have been no way they would have dealt with it that day.

Then she said she went on 3 weeks vacation and noone did her case load and as of February 1st she was just looking my packet over (but not before I left her a message in the morning with my return call being at 5:30 PM).  Then she proceeded to tell me that since the new law changed, she needed to send the packet back to me, I had to get it notarized and fill it out in the new format.  

Then some of the items on the list were questionable and that even though she can't tell me what I can and cannot claim, that if the BF disputes any of them we would end up back in court.

Ok..I was under the impression that he was in arrears, he's always in arrears, and the 400.00 was not added in a timely manner by the CS office and I now have several hoops to jump through.  As of Dec 31st their office does show he was paid up.  My office says otherwise. :)

1. Who is right here?  Me or CS office?

2. Is this worker suppose to dispute my claims before the BF even sees it or is she suppose to let the BF file an objection?

3. Any other words of wisdom?

4. How much does one child run these days, as in how much would I have to give back?

Case in MN (Still have the return not spending it until I know what is going on)

Thank you

socrateaser

>1. Who is right here?  Me or CS office?

Federal law has changed and it has become MUCH more specific concerning who can take the exemption and under what conditions.

See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf, page 11. The rules may convince you that you are entitled to the deduction regardless of what your state CS office tells you.

I can't analyze your situation without reading your original and most recent court orders. Also, if you want a definitive analysis, I'll have to charge you (yes, sometimes Soc needs money).