Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 06:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Counseling and moving

Started by Crockpot, Feb 12, 2007, 11:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crockpot

I am NCP of two girls (ages 8 and 5).  CP wanted to send eight year old to counseling for behavioral issues.  I provided her with names of counselors in my insurance network.  Once I told her I wanted to be involved, she said she's not going to do it then.  My youngest has made comments lately about not liking CP.

I think both children would benefit from counseling.  We share legal custody and I have parenting time EOW, alternating holidays and extended time in summer and school breaks.  I also see them on Wednesday nights from about 5-7pm.

Since CP won't take them if I'm involved, I'm considered taking them myself.  

1. Is it possible to get counseling court ordered so we have more flexibility as to where they go since my weekday/night time with them is limited?

2.  If so, can you give me some pointers on how I would accomplish this?

On another topic, CP has mentioned moving with children.  My understanding is she'd need my consent to move out of state.

1. Are out of state moves the only ones that need consent?  Or do they also consider distance?  

Thank you for your time

socrateaser

>1. Is it possible to get counseling court ordered so we have
>more flexibility as to where they go since my weekday/night
>time with them is limited?

Yes, if you have some reason why counseling is in the child's best interests. I don't know what the "behavioral" issues are, so I can't tell you if the court's likely to agree that this warrants court ordered counseling.

>
>2.  If so, can you give me some pointers on how I would
>accomplish this?

I would allege just what you've told me here, and move that the court order counseling, because the CP believes that the child has behavioral issues, but that when you offered to be involved, the CP immediately backed out and didn't want the counseling anymore. Clearly, this does not mean that the behavioral issues have just vanished.

>1. Are out of state moves the only ones that need consent?  Or
>do they also consider distance?  

Depends on GA law and your court orders. I can't tell what would apply to your case. Usually, distance is what matters and how it affects the current custody/parenting orders. So, if you lived right at the border between GA and FL, and the other parent wanted to move across the street to FL, the court wouldn't likely care at all -- unless it caused the child's school districts to change and the kid sufferred unreasonable distress as a consequence.

Crockpot

I am NCP of two girls (ages 8 and 5).  CP wanted to send eight year old to counseling for behavioral issues.  I provided her with names of counselors in my insurance network.  Once I told her I wanted to be involved, she said she's not going to do it then.  My youngest has made comments lately about not liking CP.

I think both children would benefit from counseling.  We share legal custody and I have parenting time EOW, alternating holidays and extended time in summer and school breaks.  I also see them on Wednesday nights from about 5-7pm.

Since CP won't take them if I'm involved, I'm considered taking them myself.  

1. Is it possible to get counseling court ordered so we have more flexibility as to where they go since my weekday/night time with them is limited?

2.  If so, can you give me some pointers on how I would accomplish this?

On another topic, CP has mentioned moving with children.  My understanding is she'd need my consent to move out of state.

1. Are out of state moves the only ones that need consent?  Or do they also consider distance?  

Thank you for your time

socrateaser

>1. Is it possible to get counseling court ordered so we have
>more flexibility as to where they go since my weekday/night
>time with them is limited?

Yes, if you have some reason why counseling is in the child's best interests. I don't know what the "behavioral" issues are, so I can't tell you if the court's likely to agree that this warrants court ordered counseling.

>
>2.  If so, can you give me some pointers on how I would
>accomplish this?

I would allege just what you've told me here, and move that the court order counseling, because the CP believes that the child has behavioral issues, but that when you offered to be involved, the CP immediately backed out and didn't want the counseling anymore. Clearly, this does not mean that the behavioral issues have just vanished.

>1. Are out of state moves the only ones that need consent?  Or
>do they also consider distance?  

Depends on GA law and your court orders. I can't tell what would apply to your case. Usually, distance is what matters and how it affects the current custody/parenting orders. So, if you lived right at the border between GA and FL, and the other parent wanted to move across the street to FL, the court wouldn't likely care at all -- unless it caused the child's school districts to change and the kid sufferred unreasonable distress as a consequence.