Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jun 15, 2024, 08:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sounds like slave labor.

Started by BeachBum22, Apr 17, 2007, 06:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeachBum22

I realize Soc is gone but I figured I'd post here because its sort of a legal question.

My fiance and I live in MA.

My fiance fell behind in child support and was found in contempt, so the judge ordered him to pay the full amount and to do 90 days of community service.

My fiance found out that he is the only one in the community service program that is not getting "compensated" for his work (all the others are working for an hourly wage and that money goes to pay for their fine or their arrears in child support.)

It sounds like slave labor. Is this legal and is there anything he can do about it? Can he appeal or something?

Thanks.

notnew

Uh, personally, I feel that anyone who has been ordered to community service should NOT get paid any wage. What in the hell is wrong with this system that allows this???

I am sorry your SO has gotten involved in this situation though. I think he needs to just do what was ordered and get the CS paid up as soon as possible.

I was behind one time after being out of work for 6 weeks. I had to pay extra $50 per month until the arrearage was paid up. However, any punishment was NEVER discussed or even part of the equation. I can only think that there may be more to his story as to why he got this type of punishment. However, I may be wrong and you two may live in a stricter area then I do. I don't want to seem like I am judging your SO, just posting my thoughts.

As far as the community service goes, I am just floored that anyone would expect to be paid for completing duties that are meted out as punishment. And we wonder what is wrong with our kids these days. What values and/or lessons are we teaching anyway?