Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 08:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help with temporary custody

Started by Crockpot, Apr 26, 2007, 04:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crockpot

My SO got a call from his ex tonight.  Her boyfriend recently moved and emptied their joint checking.  Her rent check bounced and she's being evicted.  She asked my SO to take the kids temporarily.  We're willing to do that but would like to make it permanent (didn't tell her that).  SO and ex plan to go to the court house tomorrow to file the paperwork for the temporary change.  

How does SO take full advantage of this?  We want his kids full time.  Without bashing, let's just say she's not going to win any mother of the year awards.

How long do the kids need to be with us before the courts would consider letting them stay with us?  They live close enough that they can stay in their current schools.  But we do live in another district.  

Suggestions?    

MixedBag

If I remember correctly, the best way to make that happen is to do your best to make lots of time happen between accepting the kids and when the mom asks for them back.

After 6 months, file for permanent.

Whether or not they will have to switch schools in the fall, will depend on where BM moves to.

IF it's an automatic switch because of her new location, and things are going well, I'd suggest filing then. (even though that's under 6 months).

In our county, if you don't have permanent custody, you can't enroll them in school.  Temp doesn't work unless the CP signs a statement giving the NCP/Temp custody parent permission to enroll.

Big hurdle for EX#3's daughter 7 years ago (geez, has it been that long!).

Crockpot

Thanks for the response.

We share legal so I think I can enroll them in school by me, but I'll check into that.  

In all my research, I can't find anything in our state (MN) that refers to 'temporary custody' unless it's in reference to the time prior to divorce.  So, I don't know if MN even has such a thing, so maybe we'll have to revise our order and then reverse it if she ever gets them back.  I'll find out tomorrow.