Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 12:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tax Question IF you gain custody during the year??

Started by patton, Jan 07, 2004, 07:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patton

Hopefully you all have read the "revised" tax law for unmarried father's, it's basically the same now as if you were divorced.

My question is if you retain custody during the year who gets to claim the child?

Case Scenario:  Parent (non-custodial) (never married) has child say from June 15, 2003 thru July 31, 2003 for summer visitation.  Parent (non-custodial is awarded primary or sole custody as of August 1, 2003.

Can you legally claim the child on your taxes?  

patton

When you call the IRS the person will give you their name and ID number, so keep it.

First they ask you MANY questions.  If you can answer YES to most of them, then you are probably due the deduction.

If you did gain custody during the year or you split custody and do not have an agreement on who gets the deduct then I would call the IRS and get verification.

Word of warning though....You better have paperwork and documents to back up everyone of your claims.  I think the person at the IRS asked me about 20 questions.

And you better have signed paperwork by the end of the tax year showing you are the custodial parent.